Discussion: Latinos and the criminal justice system Eric Quezada Center, 518 Valencia, SF. www.sflatinodemclub.com. 7-8pm, free. Join SF Public Defender Jeff Adachi, Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi, Criminal Justice Network for youth program manager Roselyn Berry, and Haywood Burns of the Institute for Juvenile Justice, Fairness and Equity for a frank discussion on how the Latino community is affected by systemic aspects of the criminal justice system. The discussion will cover immigrant offenders, the city's Sanctuary City policy, restorative justice, and juvenile crime. Moderated by Mike Alonso. Sponsored by the SF Latino Democratic Club.
Author Jonathan Alter on Obama — and his enemies St. John's Presbyterian Church, 2727 College, Berk. $12 advance. www.brownpapertickets.com, (800) 838-3006 This event features the author of The Center Holds: Obama and His Enemies, a book that portrays the president at an historic moment. Alter offers "fresh details about the Koch brothers, Grover Norquist, and the online haters who suffer from 'Obama Derangement Syndrome,'" according to the KPFA announcement. "He portrays the Obama analytics geeks working out of 'The Cave' and the man who secretly videotaped Mitt Romney's infamous comments on the '47 percent.'" This is a benefit for KPFA.
Screening of 'War on Whistleblowers: Free Press & the National Security State' Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists' Hall, 1924 Cedar, Berk. http://www.bfuu.org. 7-9pm, $5–$10 suggested donation. A timely screening of a documentary featuring four stories of whistleblowers who took action because they wanted to expose government corruption, misconduct or wrongdoing. Sponsored by the BFUU Social Justice Ctee as part of our Conscientious Projector Series for the 99% For more, visit www.waronwhistleblowers.com
Most Commented On
- It doesn't take a lot of brain power to pump gas - December 10, 2013
- Cars have the roads and pedestrians have the sidewalks - December 10, 2013
- 16 million new cars were sold in the US in 2013. - December 10, 2013
- There are many cyclists in Aspen and - December 10, 2013
- So not stopping at a stop sign is only for cars? - December 10, 2013
- Move To Texas - December 10, 2013
- San Francisco Unemployment Rate - 5.1% - December 10, 2013
- I Think You Should Move There - December 10, 2013
- Bicycles Should Be Outlawed - December 10, 2013
- Did You Get That Help You Needed? - December 10, 2013