District Attorney Debate
San Francisco district attorney candidates Sharmin Bock, David Onek and George Gascón will discuss civil rights and criminal justice reform in this public debate. Topics will include immigration, police misconduct, impact of justice system on communities of color, and alternatives to incarceration. Criminal justice evolution under AB 109, a bill that authorizes the relocation of state prisoners into local jails, will also be discussed.
7-9:30 p.m., free
African American Art & Culture Complex
762 Fulton, SF
From Hiroshima to Fukushima
On August 6th and 9th in 1945, the deadly World War II nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki took place. More recently, the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster, a result of the March earthquake and tsunami, threatened the people of Japan with radioactive contamination. Geo-physicist Leuren Moret, who wrote an article in *004 predicting an impending human-made nuclear disaster in Japan, will be speaking about it at this commemoration of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. Moret will discuss the catastrophe and who is responsible for it, including General Electric and the US government.
7-9 p.m., donation requested
2926 16th St., SF
SlutWalk SF Bay
Slut Walks began in Toronto, Canada in reply to a police officer suggesting 'women should avoid dressing like sluts' in order to stay safe from sexual assault, and have spread around the world. The walks demand respect and an end to sexual assault, and are attended by individuals both conventionally and suggestively dressed. The first-ever San Francisco edition will begin at Dolores Park and travel through the Mission to the Castro. All ages and gender-identifications and attire are welcome.
2-5 p.m., free
Dolores and 18th St., SF
Mail items for Alerts to the Guardian Building, 135 Mississippi St., SF, CA 94107; fax to (415) 437-3658; or e-mail email@example.com. Please include a contact telephone number. Items must be received at least one week prior to the publication date.
Most Commented On
- One day we will live in a world where nobody is successful - April 24, 2014
- Conway was until he moved to - April 24, 2014
- She loves misery and is unelectable. - April 24, 2014
- Yes, Willie engineered an economic boom which gave us more - April 24, 2014
- iLCrCdhiFRgiSe - April 24, 2014
- Is Cindy Sheehan still talking about how 9/11 was an inside job? - April 24, 2014
- My spellcaster Dr. Ooga answered Steven's wishes - April 24, 2014
- money junkies can be - April 24, 2014
- All poor people ever did for - April 24, 2014
- When was Willie mayor? - April 24, 2014