- This Week
Our guide leads you to the best art and parties on the playa -- and helps you prepare for the journey of a lifetime
08.02.11 - 6:49 pm | Guardian Staff Writers |
Blissdance by Marco Cochrane, a beloved piece from Burning Man 2010, now dances on Treasure IslandPHOTO BY MR. NIGHTSHADE/THEBLIGHT.NET
It's a Burning Man world
Burning Man dominates August in the Bay Area. It's everywhere, almost impossible to escape, even if you try. That's a never-ending source of irritation to those who don't go, particularly for those who are the rare holdouts in social circles filled with burners, where playa preparation, anticipation, and exaltation can unexpectedly snake their ways into any conversation.
So, on behalf of my Burning mates, please allow me to sympathize, even if I'm unwilling to apologize. We just can't help ourselves. There's just so much to do right now, so little time to do it, and so many little reminders that the playa is out there, waiting for us to come build it into the city of our own creation.
It's important to plan your attack, and there is no shortage of resources to consult, from the official Burning Man Survival Guide that gets mailed to ticket holders to the sample packing lists that many people post online, and they're all worth consulting. So our contribution is meant to supplement what's out there and offer some useful tips and resources from the perspective of the Bay Area, the launching pad for more burners than any other single place on earth.
From fashion tips to food advice, from getting in to getting off, from this year's coolest projects and events to a profile of the people who will lead this culture for years to come, we hope you find this guide a valuable addition to your playa preparations. Now get busy, because time is tick, tick, ticking away. (Steven T. Jones, a.k.a Scribe)
From art and parties to shopping and eating: a festival of tips and resources to get the most out of Burning Man
In setting up its new nonprofit, the Black Rock City LLC board is looking beyond the event
Burner designers move beyond disposable fashion
A link to our continuing blog coverage of the festival
Most Commented On
- Mr. Jones has made a good point here. - December 11, 2013
- No, SFBG only has the IP address that he or she used. - December 11, 2013
- SF progressives use the word "white" as a slur. - December 11, 2013
- If they have a job, then they can buy healthcare insurance - December 11, 2013
- The best way to help il;legals is to hire them, so they can buy - December 11, 2013
- Good luck taxing something invisible. - December 11, 2013
- No recorded cyclist fatalities in Aspen - December 11, 2013
- The reasons were primarily fiscal - December 11, 2013
- Except that there is no post at 9:58 a.m. on this thread - December 11, 2013
- SF Genius! - December 11, 2013