Our picks for the best of the rest
Thee Oh Sees
Hiatus, schmiatus. Less than six months after the prom kings of SF's garage scene declared they'd be taking an "indefinite" break from playing — inciting local blog warfare, while they were at it, with frontman John Dwyer's move to LA signalling that the trickle of SF musicians down south had actually become a downpour — Thee Oh Sees dropped Drop, nine tracks of reassuringly heavy, noisy, psyched-out reverb. Fans know their maniacal live show is not to be missed, and BB marks the band's first public return to our stages (or parks, as the case may be). Can we hug and make up now? Sat/5 (Day 1), 8pm.
Of all the bands riding the current wave of '90s nostalgia, The Muffs are one we're a-okay with hearing from again. If you've seen Clueless, you probably know their cover of "Kids in America," but with Kim Shattuck's rough-hewn, little-girl-gone-bad vocals and charisma at the helm, we've always thought they deserved much more. This time last year, Shattuck was playing bass for the Pixies; if getting booted from that band was what it took to produce The Muffs' first record in 10 years, Whoop De Woo (out July 29 ), we're fine with that too. Bust out your pink Converse for this one. Sun/6 (Day 2), 6pm.
Aside from maybe hot dog-eating contests and firecracker-related injuries, perhaps nothing says "America" like a barely-clothed adult man throwing himself around on stage in a terrifying bunny mask, a coat made of garbage, and a ball gag. Luckily, we have Nobunny, the endearingly insane alter ego of veteran punk madman Justin Champlin, who promises to make this all-ages affair just a little bit of a darker experience than you'd probably want unaccompanied children to have on their own. Just like our founding fathers would have wanted. Sat/5 (Day 1), 5:15pm.
Most Commented On
- You always make that remark when you have no response. - July 24, 2014
- No, Yo, there is no significant difference between the two - July 24, 2014
- Not overfunded - July 24, 2014
- lol - July 24, 2014
- Guest, I see where you are heading, and... - July 24, 2014
- Of course he does - July 24, 2014
- Same with the SF Green Party - ovewhelmingly white - July 24, 2014
- Yeah, but if you have really good tech skills why would you ever - July 24, 2014
- Why didn't the author give a breakdown by eye color or - July 24, 2014
- HINT: SFUSD should have done - July 24, 2014