Guardian Small Business Award winner is turning a new generation of Mission dwellers onto pupusas.
In the gentrifying heart of the Inner Mission District — near the corner of 16th and Valencia streets, where longtime bookstores, markets, bars, and restaurants have all been forced out by rising rents in the last year or so — a simple Salvadorean restaurant has continued to thrive by serving one dish, pupusas, to customers old and new.
Panchita's Pupuseria is a wonderfully unassuming little restaurant that spills out of its own doors on busy weekend nights, with its family members joining the street food vendors on the sidewalk flipping these tasty treats, as they've been doing in a series of Mission locations over the last 24 years.
"My grandma and mom started it there with a bunch of my uncles," Doris Vargas tells us of the original location on 17th Street that has since closed. She and her family don't mind the challenging evolution of the Mission, with its influx of high-paid tech workers. "It has expanded our customer base. My mom loves that pupusas have been exposed to a larger crowd."
The pancake-like pupusas are served right off the grill with hot sauce and curtido, a slaw-like mix of cabbage, carrots, and spices soaked (the word actually mean "soaked" in Spanish) in a vinegar that Vargas' namesake mother makes herself, infused with pineapple, something she learned before emigrating from El Salvador at the age of 25.
Simple, delicious, family-run — and a survivor appreciated by us and the large crowds of newbies that have begun to discover it.
3091 16th St., SF
Most Commented On
- Emma buys the "you can't be racist about whites" line - July 23, 2014
- Again as a journalist when you make a claim you must - July 23, 2014
- He's right though. When you have a mix of commercial and - July 23, 2014
- There are a whole gaggle of people like that only in SF, who - July 23, 2014
- So you don't care about the neighbors who now have - July 23, 2014
- The water would not be lost. It would simply be allowed to flow - July 23, 2014
- All national parks are very expensive if terms of the - July 23, 2014
- It has ruined a valley as beautiful as Yosemite and continues to - July 23, 2014
- So we should support Arab terrorists instead? - July 23, 2014
- Like any investment strategy, such an approach may work - July 23, 2014