Initiative would give voters a say on big waterfront projects that violate zoning standards
The plan also specifies acceptable uses for its various waterfront properties. Residential isn't listed as an acceptable use for either Pier 48 or Seawall Lot 337, both of which are slated mostly for open space and maritime uses. Office space and entertainment venues are also not deemed allowable uses on either property, although it does list retail as an allowable use on Pier 48.
By contrast, Piers 30-32 and the adjacent Seawall Lot 330 were envisioned by the plan to allow all the uses proposed for it: "Assembly and Entertainment" and retail on the piers and residential, hotels, and retail on the property across the street — but not at the heights that are being proposed.
The plan calls Pier 70 a "mixed use opportunity area" that allows most uses, but not hotels or residential, despite current plans that call for construction of about 1,000 homes at the site to help fund historic preservation efforts.
Slaughter answered questions about her project's lack of compliance with the WLUP by saying, "The whole project is going through a community planning process."
Yet Agnos said that neither that process nor the current makeup of the Port or Mayor's Office can get the best deal for the public against rich, sophisticated teams of developers, investors, and professional sports franchises.
"They don't have the expertise for the multi-billion-dollar deals that are in front of them," Agnos said of the Port of San Francisco. "The new identity for San Francisco's Port is it has the most valuable land in the country, and maybe the most valuable land in the world."
Most Commented On
- If you dont vote yes on the bond - you will be stuck - July 24, 2014
- I remember in the late 80s - July 24, 2014
- And anti-union, too. The - July 24, 2014
- Diversity necessary, skills be damned - July 24, 2014
- It's SFBG who is raising a race issue here - July 24, 2014
- RtRpXUSerOX - July 24, 2014
- I feel sure that SFBG would love to hire black reporters if - July 24, 2014
- Agree, and thanks to blacks for making the NBA so great - July 24, 2014
- I would love to see this same - July 24, 2014
- Spoken as someone who clearly has never run a rental business - July 24, 2014