Hungry for reform - Page 4

California prisoners prepare for another hunger strike to protest persistently deplorable conditions

Sitawa Jamaa is a prisoner at Pelican Bay who helped organize the hunger strikes.

But activists say the nearly $2 million Brown received from the California Correctional Peace Officers Association (CCPOA) during his successful bid for governor in 2010 had more to do with it than infamous serial killers.

Assembly member Tom Ammiano, who authored the most recent bill, stressed that "Press access isn't just to sell newspapers. It's a way for the public to know that the prisons it pays for are well-run. I invite the governor to visit the SHU to see for himself why media access is so important."

DRASTIC MEASURES

Last time around, Jamaa lost 19 pounds. Deprived of sunlight, the Oakland-born man has developed melanin and vitamin D deficiencies that have lightened his normally dark brown skin. He suffers stomach problems and swollen thyroid glands that he didn't have before prison. Starvation is a possibly lethal proposition. "Make no mistake, none of us wants to die. But we are prepared to, if that's what it takes to force a real reform," he and other strike leaders wrote in a statement last December. Jamaa's sister, Marie Levin, who has organized monthly vigils for the strikers at Oakland's monthly First Fridays/Art Murmur event, is worried about how her brother's body will cope this time around. "It's something that we as family members don't want them to have to experience again," she notes with anxiety. Yet both the prisoners and their advocates on the outside say they can't simply let dehumanizing conditions in California's prison system continue indefinitely. "I think things have changed, but not substantially in terms of actual conditions," Kupers argues. "What is changed is the CDCR had to recognize the strikers, and conceded some of the things. And subsequently, the various prisoner groups have come together and made a commitment not to have violence between groups inside the prisons. This is huge advancement." But unless all 45 demands are met, they say the strike will commence July 8. For now, Jamaa and others are readying their bodies for hunger, for a cause they believe goes far beyond prison walls. "Know this," he wrote from SHU, words that needed to be smuggled out through unconventional means to get around an official wall of silence. "I am a ... Prisoner of War, and I serve the interest of all people."

Comments

Hello,

Thank you so much for printing this article. My prayer is that none of what is taking place in the prisoners will be done in vain. And that Gov. Jerry Brown, the CDCR Officials, and the staff of PBSP would truly look inside themselves, tap into that heart of flesh that GOD gave them, and make the needed changes toward humanity for these prisoners.

Marie Levin

Posted by Guest on Jul. 03, 2013 @ 1:49 pm

Great article that really exposes what is going on in California SHU's. Prolonged solitary confinement must be abolished! Thank you to Toshio for writing and the Guardian for printing.

Diana Block, California Coalition for Women Prisoners

Posted by Great article! on Jul. 03, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

Please include details concerning the crimes these Pelican Bay inmates committed to get them where they are. I would like to hear from the victims and their families prior to getting teary-eyed over these murderers - because that is who is housed at Pelican Bay.

Posted by Richmondman on Jul. 03, 2013 @ 3:15 pm

You are very closed minded I would bet you a million many that are in pelican bay are not murdered..and many do not belong in there..please go look up info of inmates before you make ignorant comments..god bless you my little stupid child

Posted by Guest on Jul. 03, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

Richmondman...If I may ask you one question? Do you believe in justice? Because if you do then you would acknowledge the fact that these men "murderers" as you call them, are being held behind these walls in solitary confinement for an indeterminate time without due process of the law. I have a brother in the SHU and he has never murdered anyone but he's still back there. I feel sorry for families who have lost anyone to violent crimes but I believe we must never lose our compassion or understanding for vengeance. I would like to share a verse from the bible with you

Isaiah 61:1 ESV / 42 helpful votes

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

Posted by Gilbert Pacheco on Jul. 03, 2013 @ 4:11 pm

Well said ...I also have a brother..and people are so close minded or disable and make comments without knowledge...if you know of any upcoming events protest let me know I like to attend..this needs to end the abuse and torture..its awfull ...lfabua@yahoo.com

Posted by Guest on Jul. 03, 2013 @ 6:25 pm
Posted by Guest on Jul. 04, 2013 @ 7:49 am

locked up alone for some extended time have done something while in jail to get that treatment.

I don't know if Jesus was part of the governing body that decided the fate of our states thugs.

Posted by matlock on Jul. 03, 2013 @ 6:39 pm

I had the need to apologize for RICHMONDMAN'S comment he is ignorant speaks without knowing that many inmates in SHU are not murderers nor rapest..or child molester...many are wrongfully convicted and many again wrongly thrown in the SHU.. Please Richmond read ..hear inmates story ..the charges in witch inmate is in prison I can give you few that should not belong in the SHU... Mr.Pachecco please let me know of any events or protest I am a supporter against this abuse and torture..

Miracles1g@yahoo.com

Posted by Guest on Jul. 03, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

"The majority of inmates housed within the SHU are validated prison gang members/associates. A validated prison gang member/associate will spend an average of six years in the SHU. However, inmates are afforded the opportunity to "debrief" and give a written account of their gang participation. If they are proven to be truthful and forthcoming they will be transferred to a different prison and allowed to "do their time" in protective custody. However, most inmates choose not to participate in the debrief process."

Posted by Richmondman on Jul. 09, 2013 @ 10:23 am

Posted by Richmondman on Jul. 09, 2013 @ 10:24 am

we lead the nation in incarceration and like Gitmon many of the men and women held in incarceration and solitary incarceration are wrongfully held, over charged, charged because of nationality, color, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, an over zealous prosecutor or prison official . . . . Solitary confinement is torture and we should be way better than this . . . let's try to be who we can be, instead of vengeful and vindictive. We don't have to become like the worst we can be, we can be the leaders of the world in human rights . . .now that would be something to be proud of . . support these prisoners struggle to be treated as human beings no matter what they are accused of for crimes.

Posted by babysoft on Jul. 04, 2013 @ 7:58 am

we lead the nation in incarceration and like Gitmo many of the men and women held in incarceration and solitary incarceration are wrongfully held, over charged, charged because of nationality, color, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, an over zealous prosecutor or prison official . . . . Solitary confinement is torture and we should be way better than this . . . let's try to be who we can be, instead of vengeful and vindictive. We don't have to become like the worst we can be, we can be the leaders of the world in human rights . . .now that would be something to be proud of . . support these prisoners struggle to be treated as human beings no matter what they are accused of for crimes.

Posted by babysoft on Jul. 04, 2013 @ 8:00 am

felons who we are spending a fortune on incarcerating might actually cost us a lot less by dying of starvation?

Hmmm.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 04, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

Jason Grant Garza to Toshio ... I would like thank you for the above article and bring forward some VERY IMPORTANT issues. I too have had MEDICAL CARE, POLICE SERVICES, ADA SERVICES not be. What do I mean ...

A good start would be to show you an article and what the city did before ... http://www.sfbg.com/2007/06/27/crazy and then show you a signed confession where the city broke the MEDICAL law, left me for dead and now the process has started all over again ... http://myownprivateguantanamo.com/settle1.html and for more background read http://myownprivateguantanamo.com . ( Documented MEDICAL LAWBREAKING - in case you don't believe it is TRUE)

Now go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cP3jCmJFRo to see the CRIMINAL FRAUD or the sheriff's "CUP OF POISON" on 11/27/12 (see all six videos) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xax7ksytpu4 and then go to DPH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFd-KtS8Zss or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa7kfWNt4aQ or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCuMwXVxADk (where I was BRUTALLY ASSAULTED by the sheriff's deputy.) Then you can watch other videos for the FAILURES of SFPD, OCC, MOD, Sheriff and Chief of Police and Police Commission.

So as to further illustrate my point ... NO ENFORCEMENT of MEDICAL LAW even in PRISON and what the agencies responsible (for the malpractice - both legal and medical) are trying to SPIN as far as a fix and HOW LONG NOW? Then, look at what I am subjected to ... if you look at the above videos on youtube ... neither the POLICE nor SHERIFF ENFORCE medical law violations ... so here is ANOTHER CORRUPT METHODOLOGY and please note all the access and accommodation to escalate to the highest level in order to CORRECT. None from the SF Police Department, NONE from the Sheriff's Office, NONE from the Office of Citizen's Complaints, NONE from the Human Rights Commission, NONE from the Mayor's Office on Disabilities, NONE from the Police Commission. So where is the HUMANITY ???? I can show you WHAT as the PRISONERS can ... what HAPPENS with NO MEDICAL LAW ENFORCEMENT ...

Posted by Jason Grant Garza on Jul. 04, 2013 @ 1:39 pm

I spent 10 years in California prisons on drug charges and 4 years in Solitary Confinement where I started writing novels about the drug war and prisons. I am now a best seller with over 10 books on the subject and over 400 reviews on Amazon. Underdog is about the Pelican Bay Hunger Strike and Solitary Confinement found in my catalog here~ That particular book got the interest of a Criminal Justice Professor at U.C. Irvine and I got to speak to 100 students as a guest Lecturer and be on the radio. Here's a front page story in the O.C. Register about it~
Other interviews and reviews on my site here

God bless you,

Glenn Langohr

Posted by Glenn Langohr on Jul. 15, 2013 @ 8:46 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.