Grace Cathedral's yoga team talk love, church, and the Christian-yogi connection
DM Given that the class is so diverse in terms of age, physical ability, and level of yoga practice, I focus on the more gentle and meditative side of yoga. The cathedral itself invites a more inward and contemplative experience as well, so it is really a perfect fit. Every week, I invite Bay Area musicians who have a transcendent quality to play at class.
SFBG Why do you think a class like this became so popular in San Francisco?
DM San Francisco has always been known for being open-mined, and that quality makes people open to the unique experience of doing yoga in a church. That said, I would not be at all surprised if we see this idea spreading beyond the Bay Area over the next 10 years or so.
Karen Macklin is a writer and yoga teacher in San Francisco. Read her On the Om Front column every other week on the SFBG Pixel Vision blog.
Most Commented On
- Tech companies should look past 'education' - July 23, 2014
- The # 1 SF value - July 23, 2014
- The Goldes-Ruff Fraudcraft Of MPI, Chava Energy LLC, And Aesop I - July 23, 2014
- Oddly it turns out that a - July 23, 2014
- The people who give a shit are those too - July 23, 2014
- Journalist Joe can't do self selection. - July 23, 2014
- ryjPnPRszUs - July 23, 2014
- Important topic, sophomoric article - July 23, 2014
- How much would your proposal cost? - July 23, 2014
- GLsPUYWAqi - July 23, 2014