Grace Cathedral's yoga team talk love, church, and the Christian-yogi connection
DM Given that the class is so diverse in terms of age, physical ability, and level of yoga practice, I focus on the more gentle and meditative side of yoga. The cathedral itself invites a more inward and contemplative experience as well, so it is really a perfect fit. Every week, I invite Bay Area musicians who have a transcendent quality to play at class.
SFBG Why do you think a class like this became so popular in San Francisco?
DM San Francisco has always been known for being open-mined, and that quality makes people open to the unique experience of doing yoga in a church. That said, I would not be at all surprised if we see this idea spreading beyond the Bay Area over the next 10 years or so.
Karen Macklin is a writer and yoga teacher in San Francisco. Read her On the Om Front column every other week on the SFBG Pixel Vision blog.
Most Commented On
- secret of success in life - April 16, 2014
- We don't need a lawsuit - April 16, 2014
- My "notions" are based on real life experiences - April 16, 2014
- Interesting take, Greg - April 16, 2014
- Thank you. Not one *ucking penny in tax increases. - April 16, 2014
- OMG, is this real? so finally - April 16, 2014
- Rent control is an unfair two - April 16, 2014
- No, I think I nailed it. - April 16, 2014
- Sure, let's elect the MTA. - April 16, 2014
- We already do. We just don't - April 16, 2014