Grace Cathedral's yoga team talk love, church, and the Christian-yogi connection
DM Given that the class is so diverse in terms of age, physical ability, and level of yoga practice, I focus on the more gentle and meditative side of yoga. The cathedral itself invites a more inward and contemplative experience as well, so it is really a perfect fit. Every week, I invite Bay Area musicians who have a transcendent quality to play at class.
SFBG Why do you think a class like this became so popular in San Francisco?
DM San Francisco has always been known for being open-mined, and that quality makes people open to the unique experience of doing yoga in a church. That said, I would not be at all surprised if we see this idea spreading beyond the Bay Area over the next 10 years or so.
Karen Macklin is a writer and yoga teacher in San Francisco. Read her On the Om Front column every other week on the SFBG Pixel Vision blog.
Most Commented On
- Suspending Judgement - December 8, 2013
- Also regarding The Hallowed, - December 8, 2013
- The devout worshipers of The - December 7, 2013
- Well said. I'm sure the - December 7, 2013
- "There will also be food, - December 7, 2013
- Ugh this sounds miserable. I - December 7, 2013
- Trolls such as yourself - December 7, 2013
- On the contrary, it is - December 7, 2013
- Child, you don't follow - December 7, 2013
- B.U.F.F.O.O.N. - December 7, 2013