On a mission - Page 6

Two Mission cops decided they'd rather get jobs for gang members than keep arresting them. And it's working.

Officers hold intervention for families with at-risk kids at the Mission station.
GUARDIAN PHOTO BY AMANDA LOPEZ

"This is what we really need to be doing," Cathey tells me. "Getting gang members to change is hard. If we can get them early enough, we have a much better chance."

********

I've been a political reporter for 30 years. I write, mostly, about intractable social problems. I know that poverty and desperation lead to crime, that broken families and inadequate schools put young people at risk of falling into violence. I am under no illusions.

When I first heard about Cathey and Sands, I thought: They're cops. Most of the time, cops aren't the best answer to deep-seated social problems and the crime that results. And I'm not going to pretend that these guys are softies — you have a warrant out, you get caught in the act, they'll pull you in, and it won't necessarily be nice.

What they're doing won't end gang violence in San Francisco, not by itself. Everyone knows that. This is a huge issue, one that will become more and more pronounced as the crazy, ancient and pointless war between the Norteños and Sureños plays out in a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood.

Cathey and Sands are by no means the only people fighting to end the carnage. Nonprofits, educators, social service agencies and others have spent years trying to break the gang cycle.

But there they are, every day, two guys with badges who see the blood and the pain on the streets, and are trying, with little bureaucracy or resources, to stop it. To save lives. One kid at a time.

"If we could get into all the middle schools, if we could expand this out, that's what would really work," Cathey told me. "That's where we can have the biggest impact.

Crime would come down; it would have to.

"I've been trying to get a meeting with the mayor." Paging Room 200, City Hall: Is anyone listening?

Comments

Extend this program to all the criminals in the city, please

Posted by Guest on Mar. 12, 2013 @ 6:33 pm
Posted by anon on Mar. 13, 2013 @ 7:38 am

Posted by Guest on Mar. 13, 2013 @ 8:41 am

I hope these guys get every dollar they need to do what they need to do.

Posted by Joe Fitzgerald on Mar. 12, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

I hope these guys get every dollar they need to do what they need to do.

Posted by Joe Fitzgerald on Mar. 12, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

Aside from the usual snide comments about white tech workers and gentrification- it was actually a very good article about two street cops trying to do some good.

Posted by Whackamole on Mar. 13, 2013 @ 7:48 am

Wait... The nortenos are south and the surenos are north? Weird.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 13, 2013 @ 8:09 am

Because the Nortenos and Surenos are old prison gangs that take their names from northern and southern parts of the state, but as it happens the Nortenos occupy the southern part of the Mission.

Posted by tim on Mar. 13, 2013 @ 10:17 am

This is a good job by the reporter. I don't think the reporter was taking any shots at white tech workers, to me he was stating the obvious. Some people can't see the forest because of the trees. Many people wind up becoming victims, when they walk right into these gang bangers because they are not paying attention!

Posted by Guest Steve on Mar. 13, 2013 @ 9:06 am

off chance that some gangmember has been rerleased from prison due to one of these "hug a thug" programs.

Zero tolerance and tough love first. Then all the fluff.

Posted by anon on Mar. 13, 2013 @ 9:19 am

So I don't want to sound demoralizing or anything, but: I don't know ANY contractors in SF who buy a Lamborghini after a few months in the business (if they are doing it the legal way). Also, don't know if his name was changed as well, but there is no licensed contractor under the name of Mike Bowen in the state of California. You can check here: https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/CheckLicense.aspx . Sorry if I ruined anyone's hopes. That's just not how things are.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 14, 2013 @ 11:07 am

Excellent piece Tim, thanks. Great work by the officers and David Campos for his ongoing work on our behalf. Grass roots community actions like these are frequently the best solutions to many of our 'social problems'. Unfortunately they are to often underfunded or, if they manage to survive, get bogged down in the bureaucracy, bullshit rules and regulations, and top heavy with middle management.

Posted by Patrick Monk.RN. on Mar. 14, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Too often solutions don't work because it is up to the gang members to change their lives - no one can do it for them. Just like alcoholics and drug addicts - they have to make the step to change. No programs or even jail will do that - they must do it themselves. And most people with issues like this need to hit bottom before they can get up.

Posted by Richmondman on Mar. 14, 2013 @ 2:16 pm

There are a ton of SFPD cops that work hard and really care, but these two stand out and it's great that they have the support of progressives, politicians, citizens, business leaders, and their supervisors. This is the only way to work together and this is the one time SF actually comes together to show it's best side. Too bad there is so much waste and disagreement in other issues.

Posted by JM on Mar. 14, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

While you're at it, quit hassling innocent people.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 20, 2013 @ 11:37 am