Major SF players share their favorites
YEAR IN MUSIC Local musicians, rappers, producers, and music writers sound off on the year's best songs, album releases, shows, personal triumphs, and local acts.
HANNAH LEW, GRASS WIDOW
TOP 10 OF 2012
1. Starting our own label HLR and releasing our own record (Internal Logic)
2. Total Control's LP
3. Touring with the Raincoats and singing "Lola" with them every night
4. Getting obsessed with Silver Apples
5. Hollywood Nails
6. Wymond Miles LP
7. Scrapers (band)
8. Sacred Paws (band)
9. Making eight music videos and losing my mind
10. Wet Hair's LP
TOP 10 2012 RAP JAMZ
1. DJ Nate, "Gucci Gogglez" 2. Chief Keef, "Ballin" 3. French Montana, "Shot Coller" 4. Chippy Nonstop, "Money Dance" DJ Two Stacks remix 5. Cash Out, "Cashin' Out" 6. Future, "Turn on the Lights" 7. Gucci Mane, "Bussin Juggs" 8. Juicy J, "Drugged Out" 9. Lil Mouse, "Don't Get Smoked" 10. Lil Reese, "Traffic" feat. Chief Keef
MICHAEL KRIMPER, GUARDIAN
THE ENDLESS DESIRE LIST
(IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, OR, OUT OF ORDER)
1. Les Sins/"Fetch"/12" (Jiaolong)
Run, fall, catch your desire.
2. The Soft Moon/"Want"/Zeros (Captured Tracks)
Infinite want, can't have it. O, ye of bad faith.
3. Frank Ocean/"Pyramids"/channel ORANGE (Def Jam)
Pimping Cleopatra, whoring the pyramids.
4. Daphni aka Caribou/"Ye ye"/Jiaolong (Jiaolong)
Affirmation on repeat.
5. Grimes/"Genesis"/Visions (4AD)
Whatever, you know you like it.
6. Todd Terje/"Inspector Norse"/It's the Arps (Olsen/Smalltown Supersound)
Inspecting never felt so good.
7. Burial/"Kindred"/Kindred (Hyperdub)
Kindred outcasts, jealously desiring their solitude.
8.John Talabot/"Estiu"/Fin (Permanent Vacation)
If a permanent vacation wasn't hell, this might be its soundtrack.
9. Purity Ring/"Obedear"/Shrines (4AD)
Nothing pure in this abject need.
10. Kendrick Lamar/"A.D.H.D."/good kid m.A.A.d city (Interscope)
Crack babies: she says, distracted, endless desire.
TYCHO, AKA SCOTT HANSEN
FAVORITE BAY AREA AND BAY AREA-AFFILIATED MUSIC ACTS
1. Toro Y Moi 2. Christopher Willits 3. Blackbird Blackbird 4. Jessica Pratt 5. Sam Flax 6. Ty Segall 7. Yalls 8. Doombird 9. Little Foxes 10. Dusty Brown
BEN RICHARDSON, GUARDIAN
BEST METAL ALBUMS OF 2012
1. Dawnbringer, Into the Lair of the Sun God (Profound Lore)
2. Asphyx, Deathhammer (Century Media)
3. Woods of Ypres, V: Grey Skies & Electric Light (Earache)
4. Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats, Blood Lust (Metal Blade)
5. Pallbearer, Sorrow And Extinction (Profound Lore)
6. Windhand, Windhand (Forcefield Records)
7. Omens EP
8. Hour of 13, 333 (Earache)
9. Gojira, L'enfant Sauvage (Roadrunner)
10. Lord Dying, Demo
CALEB NICHOLS, CHURCHES
TOP 10 VINYL PURCHASED IN 2012, AND WHERE I PURCHASED THEM
1. The Shins, Port Of Morrow (Amazon — forgive me, I had a gift card.)
2. The Walkmen, Heaven (Urban Outfitters clearance — yeah, I know, but you can't beat brand-new vinyl for $10.)
3. Various Artists, Death Might Be Your Santa Claus (Boo Boo Records, San Luis Obispo. My hometown record store.)
4. Ella Fitzgerald, Live at Montreaux (Boo Boo Records, San Luis Obispo)
5. Mahalia Jackson, Christmas With Mahalia (Abbot's Thrift, Felton, CA — Great thrift store in the Santa Cruz Mountains.)
Most Commented On
- secret of success in life - April 16, 2014
- We don't need a lawsuit - April 16, 2014
- My "notions" are based on real life experiences - April 16, 2014
- Interesting take, Greg - April 16, 2014
- Thank you. Not one *ucking penny in tax increases. - April 16, 2014
- OMG, is this real? so finally - April 16, 2014
- Rent control is an unfair two - April 16, 2014
- No, I think I nailed it. - April 16, 2014
- Sure, let's elect the MTA. - April 16, 2014
- We already do. We just don't - April 16, 2014