We call it purposeful goodwill: buttering up that cranky elder downstairs with a well-thought-out something around the holidays. Maybe next time you throw a rager, your neighbor will call you before the cops?
Our Holiday Guide "neighborhood" is Cookie Dough, who plays Sofia Petrillo in the now-classic annual drag queen production of The Golden Girls: The Christmas Episodes. The show runs Dec. 6-30, get your tickets at goldengirlssf.eventbrite.com
SAN FRANCISCO MAPKINS, $5.50
Presents for acquaintances should draw on the things you have in common — like a love of your shared territory.
Lola, 1415 Grant, SF. www.lolaofnorthbeach.com
HAND-WOVEN RAAHUNA COLECTIVO CHANGE PURSE, $10
Oaxaca, Mexico's women-run Raahuna artisan collective makes this beautiful, fair trade purse. It'd make a socially-conscious (and hip) token of your esteem.
Artillery Gallery, 2751 Mission, SF. www.artillery-ag.com
STICKY NOTES BY JUNZO TERADA, $9.95
If your neighbor's going to be leaving you passive-aggressive memos about placement of recycling bins, they may as well be on these friendly animal and guitar-shaped sticky notes.
Kinokuniya Bookstore, 1581 Webster, SF
NEIGHBORHOOD SOAPS, $10
Associate yourself in their minds with good, clean living with these soaps from San Franpsycho's Divisadero store. Choose from Golden Gate Park, Mission, Hayes Valley, Potrero Hill, Pacific Heights, SoMa, Nopa, Ocean Beach, and more.
San Franpsycho, 505 Divisadero, SF. www.sanfranpsycho.com
WEE BOWL, $8
In addition to poetry-engraved ceramic necklaces and porcelain buttons, San Franciscan Lynae Zebest sells these sweet little bowls on her Etsy site.
Zebest Pottery, www.etsy.com/shop/zebestpottery
FARMER'S MARKET FLOWER BOUQUET, $3-10
Every Tuesday and Saturday from 9am-1pm Santa Rosa Flowers sells bright bundles of blooms perfecting for brightening your giftee's foyer, or even cubicle
Alameda Farmers Market, Webster and Haight, Alameda
Most Commented On
- #SaveLibertyHall - March 7, 2014
- How many times now has Steven refused to answer the simple - March 7, 2014
- Sean, yes, there may be some local tax due as well as - March 7, 2014
- No, in-laws can be easily vacated by declaring them to the city. - March 7, 2014
- Streetsblog is relentlessly anti-car. - March 7, 2014
- Wrong. Most deaths on the road are accidents. - March 7, 2014
- Aaron, it's your "flat earth argument" policy that is abused - March 7, 2014
- well, yeah, but they like - March 7, 2014
- i really doubt that. but time - March 7, 2014
- HELPFUL MAN!!! - March 7, 2014