'Gigli' is forgiven: 70s thriller 'Argo' is Ben Affleck's best yet
Argo is Affleck's third film — the first not set in Boston, and the second that Affleck himself stars in. Though he cast his brother, Casey Affleck, in 2007's Gone Baby Gone, he gave himself the lead in 2010's The Town, a decision that ended up being one of the film's weak links. ("Oh look," my movie going companion pointed out during The Town's forced-soulful denouement. "He escaped to Beardlandia!") But his turn in Argo is, refreshingly, more or less vanity-free — just one gratuitous shirtless scene! — a hopeful sign that Affleck the actor may finally be giving Affleck the director the upper hand.
ARGO opens Fri/12 in Bay Area theaters.
Most Commented On
- Suing is a national pastime in the US - March 10, 2014
- Laws only protect specific groups who have lobbyists and - March 10, 2014
- The system is not working - March 10, 2014
- These are not "confiscatory laws" - March 10, 2014
- The downside of civil rights and political correctness is that - March 10, 2014
- I disagree. It's a "taking" if a government passes laws that can - March 10, 2014
- Apparently her family is already suing and so the system is - March 10, 2014
- discrimination means pretty much anything now - March 10, 2014
- It is not the government's responsibility - March 10, 2014
- Commercial & Personal Insurance are Different - March 10, 2014