Nightlife: Taking names and shaking ass with Poolside, Black Coffee, Love Will Fix It, Jamie XX, more parties
Gorgeous soulful house from Nkosinathi Maphumulo, Durban-born South African, who brings intricate percussion, glistening piano and bass lines, and deep feeling to his compositions and remixes. He'll be playing with LA's prince of deep house, Marques Wyatt, on Mighty' mighty soundsystem, delicious.
Fri/12, 10pm-4am, $15–$20. Mighty, 119 Utah, SF. www.mighty119.com
LOVE WILL FIX IT
The wee Hot Spot bar in Market has become quite an, er, hotspot since the always adventurous DJ Bus Station John started throwing parties there. (DJ BSJ is notorious for opening up holes in the wall for cute scruffy gay men on the make, after all.) His latest lovely shindig, Love Will Fix It, "an R&B party for the soul," has filled the space with funkier sounds of approximately 1977-1983, Ashford and Simpson to Zapp — and a whole lot of sweaty boys who would rather die than tweeze their eyebrows into little red flags of soulless desperation — for a year now, and this anniversary edition surely won't disappoint.
Sat/13, 10pm, $7. Hot Spot, 1414 Market, SF.
JAMIE XX AND JOHN TALABOT
Public Works is bringing in a killer lineup, including excellent UK bass wizard Jamie XX, fresh from his Treasure Island with his band the xx (he's the one without the hopelessly English underbite). But wait! You also get my favorite dance musicmaker this year, Spaniard John Talabot, shining his ecstatic Balaeric house sunshine into our hectic nightlives. Icee Hot party DJs Rollie Fingers, Shawn Reynaldo, and Ghosts on Tape freak up the proceedings. Grooviness!
Sun/14, 9pm, $25. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF. www.publicsf.com
Most Commented On
- "Manhattanization" is not what makes a town boring! - May 22, 2013
- SF Pride's board demonstrated - May 22, 2013
- Sad. You must be in a really - May 22, 2013
- Bridging the gap between homelessness and function-ability - May 22, 2013
- Means Testing would be fair, - May 22, 2013
- ahhh.., such a magical - May 22, 2013
- Pets are one of the most - May 22, 2013
- Yes, we know, - May 22, 2013
- My husband and i say this all the time. - May 22, 2013
- then move.. - May 22, 2013