As street artist Twist, he launched a thousand spray cans. But who does Barry McGee's gallery art inspire?
Looking around at the murals in the Bay today, the possibilities McGee exposed us to are evident. But I wonder sometimes who is becoming inspired by his gallery works, or those of other "street artists" who have found a way to support themselves in the art world. Are there baby taggers out there who are having their minds blown by this street-gallery mashup, who see possibilities for the once-and-sometimes-subversive art, not just increased the potential commercial viability?
Well anyway, I sure hope so.
Through Dec. 9, $9.50 museum admission
Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive
2626 Bancroft Way, Berk.
Most Commented On
- I don't quite get the indie rock connection here either - July 23, 2014
- Blame the Rent Control - July 23, 2014
- Rise of the machines - July 23, 2014
- GXicIxYknXWNzVCib - July 23, 2014
- It would appear that many, many people love the new condos - July 23, 2014
- So long as the Mayor's Office - July 23, 2014
- Thank you so much for - July 23, 2014
- H. Brown: Goodbye to all that, we hope - July 23, 2014
- It's important to have a token girl actor in an action movie so - July 23, 2014
- Hey, Marke, you provided all the amusing material here - July 23, 2014