Southpaw BBQ is more than a pinch-hitter
CHEAP EATS Hedgehog got me this Groupon for a fancy pantsy mani-pedi at a place in San Mateo puts flower petals and orange slices in your feet water! It's hard for me to hold a grudge, however, because at the time-of-purchase we were living in New Orleans. For all she knew, San Mateo was a suburb of San Fran, like the Sunset or the Richmond.
Nope. You have to drive.
So I was driving back, all relaxed and pretty and shit, and there was Candlestick ... and it was very nearly (at the time) football season ... and the only thing I don't like about getting my nails done is the way you smell for the rest of that day. I mean, I am, at heart, a chicken farmer. Lookswise, I can handle being beautiful, but it's my nature to smell like hay. Not mimosas.
It takes about 30 minutes to drive from San Mateo to the Mission.
Around about Candlestick, I'm saying, enough became enough. Deciding finally to change the smell of my fingernails, I swerved off the freeway in search of barbecue. In search, specifically, of Franks, where I had eaten once recently on account of another goddamn groupon, this one courtesy of Earl Butter. Who, to his credit, did apologize for eating all the brisket off our three-way-combo before Hedgehog and me ever even knew what hit us.
Turns out the brisket is Frank's best meat! It's tender, smoky, and doused in a really good, hot (if you ask for it) basic barbecue sauce, I now know. I got it to go, and they gave me a fork.
But I used my fingers....
Sunday's baseball was Mission vs. Mission at Balboa. In my copious notes I dubbed the home team the Good Guys and the away team the Better Guys. Chicken Farmer and our friend Long Tall Phil were playing for the Better Guys, hence that side's upgrade.
Unfortunately, I don't know many of the other players' names and resorted to nicknaming them mostly based on what they were wearing, who they reminded me of, and the few scattered facts I remembered about them from previous games. For example, there was Big Blue, Hairdo, Walnut Creek, Old Timey, Lost Horizons, and In'N'Out. After a while, my play-by-play reads more like I'm calling a horse race.
Anyway, I don't know how many folks are interested in rec league games, but I think more are probably into Fantasy Baseball. Then again, I don't know which side of the fence the readership of Cheap Eats falls into demographically so I'll cover both bases with one bird and say that in my opinion, Fantasy Baseball should allow for at least one Rec League player per team. My reasoning is as follows:
1) Rec Leaguers steal a ton of bases. I am in a Stolen Bases race in my Fantasy League right now and if I had In'N'Out or Gray Shirt Tony, or even Chicken Farmer herself, I wouldn't need to put all this imaginary pressure on Michael Bourn to do what I'm pretend-paying him for.
2) Rec Leaguers are almost all multi-positional and thus, very useful when setting your lineup. I mean someone who plays left field, short, third, second, catcher and pitcher? And steals three bases in one game?! I mean come on...
3) Major league starting pitchers don't hold a candle to Rec League pitchers. Unless you count speed, accuracy, or variety of pitches. But the Good Guys starter pitched a complete game! And the Better Guys pitcher went seven innings. Colorado Rockies: take note.
Better Guys, 4. Good Guys, 7.
After the game we went to my new favorite barbecue, which isn't Franks, but only because you can't walk to it from our house. You can walk to Southpaw. What my beloved and bristly sportswriter couldn't have known from the press box was that the whole game in the dugout we were talking about barbecue.
Most Commented On
- SVODZbKkmyQ - March 7, 2014
- Don't be glasshole - March 7, 2014
- No no no. Marcos thinks that - March 7, 2014
- Let's do a probable profile - March 7, 2014
- Newly elected Seattle City Councillor - March 7, 2014
- Likewise, when cyclists ride on the sidewalk or fail to stop at - March 7, 2014
- Anyone associated with Occupy is unelectable - March 7, 2014
- total validation - March 7, 2014
- Every single boondoggled public works project, like the Bay - March 7, 2014
- If he is less than 100% behind cops and business, then he will - March 7, 2014