QUEER ISSUE: Why Are Faggots so Afraid of Faggots? questions queer assimilationism
"I think the re-emergence of interest in things like ACT UP is very interesting. When I came to San Francisco I was part of ACT UP, and — with everybody dying from drugs, suicide, and AIDS — there was a real drive to come together to confront this massive structural neglect and recognize how brutalities align themselves to bring about our annihilation. But nostalgia can be dangerous without recognizing the reality. There was a very real, very dangerous moment in the 1990s when activism suddenly became about discrimination in the military, of all things.
"It turned from trying to guarantee health care for all to being about whether or not we could go die faster in wars. Whose decision was that?"
Marke B. is the author of Queer: The Ultimate LGBT Gude for Youth (Zest)
Most Commented On
- DBGWlgIHuOSxG - April 21, 2014
- a good man that also help me - April 21, 2014
- ngRqQcBlxeODokdxsEka - April 21, 2014
- zWbBAdNqet - April 21, 2014
- UEnuhdnVqFWAxJh - April 21, 2014
- uCnoDZlMvIAxXt - April 21, 2014
- mWgxyNmalCQRrCwgLL - April 21, 2014
- spell caster that help me - April 21, 2014
- euhKSDcwqbGCEG - April 21, 2014
- iUZgkURJPUAuXGx - April 21, 2014