Who's there? XXXY, Eats Everything, Beautiful Swimmers, DJ Lengua, Murk, more
SUPER EGO Hey ya'll, here are some primo parties I'm digging this week (and I just added some more great shindigs here) -- remember to tap-tap-tap on the second stall door to the left and say, "Hi!" Just a wee reminder: for a lot more insanity, hit up www.sfbg.com/nightlife2012 where you'll find a huge list of my favorite weekly and monthly parties. Hi!
AS I LIKE IT
Lovely As You Like It techno party crew founder Jeremy Bispo's birthday means he gets his pick of talent: hard-driving Minneapolis minimal tech-soul jock DVS1, jazzy Israeli duo JuJu & Jordash, Carlos Souffront, MossMoss, Rich Korach. After party starts at 6am at 222 Hyde.
Fri/9, 10pm-5:30am, $10–$15, $5 all night for Pisces. Beatbox, 314 11th St., SF. www.ayli-sf.com
Canny duo give disco and rare groove samples a hallucinatory '90s feel that sometimes borders on sexily slowed-down tribal house, sometimes wormhole disco. Sapphire Slows, Magic Touch, and DJ Pickpockets round off the latest Donuts Party (yes there are donuts!) lineup.
Fri/9, 9 p.m.-3am, $10. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF. www.publicsf.com
Bristol, UK's Daniel Pearce really did eat everything with last year's delicious and ubiquitous "Entrance Song" that welded tech-house to bass drops, with a canny Maxwell bedroom-soul sample floated atop. Unsurprisingly, SF's likeminded dirtybird label signed him right away. here's his local debut.
Fri/9, 10 p.m., $15–$20. Monarch, 101 Sixth St., SF. www.monarchsf.com
Salsa dancing, food trucks, Dogpatch love? Heck yes. This new weekly at cafe Cocomo offers salsa and bachata dance lessons, food tastings, and live music — the kickoff features salsa band Avance and some fiery flamenco on the huge back patio. Very summery. This party has a lot going on, so check out the website below for more details.
Fri/9 and every Friday, 6:30 p.m., $15. Cafe Cocomo, 650 Indiana, SF. www.tastefridays.com
As noted above, 222 Hyde has reopened its doors after an extensive remodel (more about that after I black out there a couple times). New party series Realtime focuses on live electronic performances: this hot bearish dub techno South Africa-via-NYCer kicks it off.
Sat/10, 9 p.m., $10 before 11pm, $15 after. 222 Hyde, SF. Facebook invite
Heavy contemporary cumbia vibes from the LA remixer and producer, bassed-up with dub effects and hot sonic surprises. He's at the monthly Tormenta Tropical joint bringing some Latin heat to your cusp of spring.
Sat/10, 10 p.m., $10. Elbo Room, 647 Valencia, SF. www.elbo.com
Most Commented On
- troll - December 7, 2013
- People like Castro are permanently angry and bitter - December 7, 2013
- Lost the anger, Castro. It does not become someone who claims to - December 7, 2013
- Then you should ignore his posts instead of reading them - December 7, 2013
- Why do you care so much what others do with their - December 7, 2013
- Jeff, the real troll here is the pro-Marsh poster who is using a - December 7, 2013
- The Marsh could simply give their neighbors a schedule of - December 7, 2013
- The long rant referred to was certainly hateful - December 7, 2013
- I feel sure that there's a left-wing cliche that you missed - December 7, 2013
- hasn't anyone lived in homes that wished new neighbors be respec - December 7, 2013