The key is patients

A cannabis kid grows into a weed entrepreneur

Longtime weed warrior Randy Thompson pulls on one of his favorite vaporizers.
GUARDIAN PHOTO BY CAITLIN DONOHUE

HERBWISE "Never in a million years would I have chosen to do this," wrote Randy Thompson's mother in the September 1997 issue of Good Housekeeping. The title of Karen Thompson's article was "I Broke the Law to Save My Son." Her choice? To allow Randy to use marijuana to mitigate the gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting, and lack of appetite he suffered chronically from his Crohn's Disease.

Two months after Karen's article appeared, the magazine published letters it had received in response under the header "A Controversial Choice." One respondent, a Crohn's sufferer who opted to have her small bowels re-sectioned to mitigate her symptoms, claimed to be "disgusted" with the Thompsons: "It was the best decision I ever made. How foolish of Simon's parents to not exhaust all medical possibilities before allowing him to smoke pot."

Today Randy, undeterred by such suggestions, helps other cannabis users to find healthy ways to smoke. He is the sole proprietor of a San Jose vaporizer distribution company, Puff It Up (www.puffitup.com). Medical studies have suggested that using vaporizers dramatically cuts down the amount of tar ingested compared to smoking joints.

Johnson's company is entirely staffed by patients — he has had his card since before Proposition 215 passed — and tries to stock the "little guys" of the vaporizer world, like San Diego's Magic-Flight company. Surprisingly, Puff It Up doesn't sell Volcano vaporizers, the most popular "vape" brand whose products you've probably seen filling massive plastic bags with smoke on a dorm room coffee table somewhere.

Randy says Volcanoes, which begin at $539 for a starter package, just aren't practical. "Simplicity, that's what we're going for," he says. Thompson's favorite vaporizers — which he proceeded to pull out of his backpack by the handful at his Guardian interview on a sunny day on the Zeitgeist patio — are the kind of affordable, easy-to-use, portable tools you would expect people to use for self-administering medicine. Many of the models he brought go for under $200.

"We're non-evil," he says of Puff It Up's small box approach. "We don't like to think of ourselves as profit-driven, we're just trying to get the word out that there's a better way to smoke."

Randy is still dealing with blowback from his decision to be involved with marijuana. Like many greater Bay Area dispensaries, Puff It Up received a letter from the Department of Justice a few months ago threatening punitive action if it did not stop selling vaporizers, which exist in a legal netherworld.

In the 1997 article, the Thompsons went by aliases. But in 2012, Randy is done with hiding. He thinks it's important to stick his neck out for the medicine that he says has made his life better so that other people might have the same option.

In the struggle to make cannabis accessible to everyone who needs it, he thinks patients have a big role to play. Says Randy: "People need to stand up and say 'I'm human too.'"

Next week in Herbwise: We test out Randy Thompson's favorite vaporizer — does the Magic Flight live up to its name?

Comments

Randy is a great dude and this article was a nice insight to the man who helps so many.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 13, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

Iam agree. But you know that volcano vaporizer was invented by Storz& Bickel Company.

Posted by volcano vaporizer on Apr. 10, 2012 @ 3:39 am

don't keep such valuable info away from us

Posted by how to get rid of bed bugs on May. 26, 2012 @ 5:18 pm
hey

hey

Posted by jimma on Jun. 24, 2012 @ 6:10 am

cool

Posted by asdds on Jun. 24, 2012 @ 6:18 am

Love to read the whole new thought of yours which is totally a good one.Essay experts|

Posted by Essay writers on Jul. 06, 2012 @ 11:01 pm
re

The thing is I run out with all my patients.What am I support to do?

Posted by T shirt Cool on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 12:27 am

you are instrumental to my knowledge

Posted by we will stop panic attacks on Aug. 03, 2012 @ 9:06 am

we have shared and we will continue to do so so long as you keep this kind of stuff up do you promise to do su

Posted by we will stop panic attacks on Aug. 03, 2012 @ 9:07 am

this is actually very intriguing "To allow Randy to use marijuana to mitigate the gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting, and lack of appetite he suffered chronically from his Crohn's Disease." but I find the post interesting to read

Posted by http://www.nuediamonds.com/man_made on Sep. 27, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

Hi! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa? My site covers a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.Guild Wars 2 Gold If you are interested feel free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way! eiweissdiaet

Posted by Abby on Oct. 10, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

Very good and useful information. Why not write a book about this topic.For today’s economic fluctuation and lack of opportunities, it really will be a very hot topic. Thanks anyway. All the best.

Posted by http://www.gw2gw2.com/gold.html on Oct. 10, 2012 @ 10:44 pm

Posted by <a href="http://www.gw2gw2.com/gold.html">http://www.gw2gw2. on Oct. 10, 2012 @ 11:07 pm

Great post, Your article shows tells me you must have a lot of background in this topic. Can you direct me to other articles about this? I will recommend this article to my friends as well. Keep it up.www.easy-conseil.net

Posted by johny on Nov. 06, 2012 @ 5:26 am