Weed on wheels

Delivery services and new dispensaries roll onto our annual Cannabis Club Guide update

steve@sfbg.com

CANNABIS CLUB GUIDE 2012 When we first created our detailed local Cannabis Club Guide two years ago — which you can find at www.sfbg.com/cannabisguide — it seemed as if the marijuana business had entered a golden age of openness and professionalism in San Francisco. But with a federal crackdown shuttering at least a half-dozen dispensaries in the Bay Area (Market Street Collective, Sanctuary, Mr. Nice Guy, Medithrive, Divinity Tree, Marin Alliance for Medical Marijuana) things have changed. Luckily for needy patients and stoners alike, San Francisco has always been a resourceful city, so those meddling feds have actually done very little to disrupt the free flow of the world's best marijuana.

Even before the cannabis industry moved above ground and into brick-and-mortar storefronts, there were always pot delivery services here. Now they're really proliferating, so we thought it was high time to add them to our guide. And once we delved into this realm, we found that it was every bit as civilized and professional as a visit to our friendly neighborhood dispensary — and perhaps even more convenient and cost-effective.

The process seems just as secure and legally compliant as it is at the clubs, with most reputable delivery services requiring that you become a member before accessing their products. That means sending them copies of your doctor's recommendation and California ID, which can be even done from a photo on your smart phone. After the services verify you, you're good to go.

We're starting the guide with just a trio of the most high-profile delivery services, as well as a couple more dispensaries, but we'll be adding to the online guide throughout the year, so check back frequently for more updates.

DELIVERIES

THE GREEN CROSS

This is one of San Francisco's premier cannabis clubs, setting the standard for everyone else in terms of quality, professionalism, and advocacy for the industry. My sources had long been telling me that the Green Cross carries the best weed in the city — information validated by the long string of awards it accumulates at cannabis competitions. And founder Kevin Reed has been a passionate, high-profile leader in the community for years.

But I became even more impressed once I actually used the service. Its great website features the best descriptions of its nearly two dozen strains of lab-tested marijuana, including where and how it was grown, as well as products ranging from inexpensive pipes to eye drops. I settled on a $40 eighth of Blue Deliah, a sativa-dominant hybrid that looked both cheap and good.

Within about 30 minutes, the friendly delivery guy showed up at my apartment, handed me a white paper bag full of goodies, and charged me $35 with my new customer discount. Inside the bag, there was a grinder, a cool jar, rolling papers, a lighter and other Green Cross swag, a pot cookie, non-medicated munchies, an information packet, a receipt stuck to the inside of the bag — and a baggie of beautifully trimmed buds.

www.thegreencross.org

(415) 648-4420

Opened in 2004

Price: Low to average

Selection: Huge and high-quality

Delivery time: Super fast

Sketch factor: Very low

Access: Secure but easy to use

Comments

Note, in the above story, Steven Jones reviews a delivery service, Foggy Daze Delivery, a delivery service which does not have a permit to sell cannabis in San Francisco. I called the this delivery service and found out that they do not test their medicine, unlike many of the permitted SF MCDs do. I think it is unfortunate that the SF Bay Guardian would make a mockery of SF's Medical Cannabis Act, by reviewing medical cannabis delivery services which are not in compliance with the city's laws.

Posted by David Goldman on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Reviewing non-permitted delivery services, or reviewing restaurants affiliated with the anti-worker, anti-healthcare, anti-San Francisco Golden Gate Restaurant Association? I'd argue that the latter does more harm.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 11:50 am

Yes, look at the horror show that is the restaurant industry in the 5 surrounding counties

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 4:47 am

If you have a problem- it shouldn't be with the journalist-Really it should be with Foggy Daze--I was curious how someone could sell so openly without being registered so I went and had a look myself....

This is on their website in the FAQ's section:

Q: Is Medical Marijuana Delivery Legal?

A: Yes, Foggy Daze Delivery Service is a CA registered non-profit company operating in strict compliance with Califonia Health and Safety Code: 11362.5(B)(I)(A) & 11632.7(H). We are also registered with the City of San Francisco. Foggy Daze Delivery pays all of its taxes and so should you.

Posted by Guest Zebra on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 6:51 pm

All else being equal, I'd rather do business with a *non-permitted* business than one that jumped through a bunch of government hoops.

Not only do the costs of that hoop-jumping typically get passed along to the customer, but requiring businesspeople to bribe government with permit fees or risk getting shut down is wrong. This coercion kills jobs, hurts the economy, and limits customer choice.

So David Goldman's letter got me hopeful that there might be a solid, organized dispensary operating without permits. Unfortunately the statement from Foggy Daze's website is disappointing. Given the threat from tax collectors and other bullies, I can sort of understand them saying they pay all their taxes, but they add "and so should you". That crosses the line from simply trying to protect yourself against prosecution, to actively encouraging participation in a system based on aggression.

Posted by Starchild on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 1:47 am

wishful thinking? Maybe we need to stop taking taxes from the evil GGRA affiliated restaurants, lay off all their workers- who aren't slaves BTW- and turn to the pot barons for philanthropy?

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 3:14 am

Hardcore Libertarians like Starchild believe that free markets take care of everything, like magic. It's a faith-based belief with no evidence to support it, sorta like Santa Claus or Christ our Savior. But every Christmas, those presents show up under the tree, right? Who can argue with that? My advice: don't even try, you won't shake his belief and you'll drive yourself crazy in the process.

Posted by steven on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 11:10 am

This article is a joke. All I can say is, I wonder how much money Kevin Reed payed to get this joke of an article written. The Green Cross is the WORST dispensary in the city. They specialize in low quality product at top quality prices. Unbelieveable. Seriously, I will meet up with anybody who disputes this and put medicine from any other dispensary up against ANY flowers from the Green Cross.

It is easy to get awarded when you finance and put on the competition.

Shame on you SFBG. I thought you were better than that.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 30, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Hmmmm... Sound suspiciously like a Green Cross competitor?!

Posted by Guest on Feb. 09, 2012 @ 3:52 pm