Talking to video purveyor Modcinema about bringing rareties -- hippie boondoggles and all -- back to the screen
Among the nuggets Modcinema has unearthed in such categories are vintage telepics like The Feminist and the Fuzz (Barbara Eden as middle America's then-idea of a Women's Libber — forever fuming at imaginary sexist offenses, requiring a he-man to settle her down), vanity biker flick J.C. (as in Jesus Christ, which is how producer-writer-director-star William F. McGaha's character humorlessly sees himself), or leeringly Italian crime caper You Can Do A Lot With Seven Women. And those are just from 1971.
Fontana also has a particular fondness for vintage Franco pop. In his collection you'll find plenty of showcases for Françoise Hardy, Serge Gainsbourg, etc., plus multiple episodes of the incredible monthly 1965-70 TV program Dim Dam Dom, which made the best use of a go-go dancing ensemble this side of Shindig! while offering musical guests both native and imported (from the Bee Gees to Jimi Hendrix).
Modcinema has also packaged some unique compilations: The "Colorspace" series is a party sampler of movie trailers ("Now you'll know the thrill of wrapping your legs around a tornado of pounding pistons, like The Girl on a Motorcycle!"), fashion promos, commercials (007 Deodorant), and whatnot. Hearing Nancy Sinatra trill "Shake that cola drag/Try the one that's really mad!" for RC Cola — well, it can really blow your mind. (Dennis Harvey)
Most Commented On
- Do you want your Ex back after a divorce - April 16, 2014
- READ THE BILL. - April 16, 2014
- No, they can't. If I was - April 16, 2014
- Economic reform is about money printing, not dispatchers - April 16, 2014
- I think you're - April 16, 2014
- Yes, anyone who files an Ellis 30/90 days after the effective - April 16, 2014
- Yes, after a while as a landlord, you develop a sixth sense of - April 16, 2014
- Of course, why do some tenants think that they have a lifetime - April 16, 2014
- LOL, Benito has had 37 years of stupid cheap rent and now you - April 16, 2014
- Maybe there are bad LL's, but so what? - April 16, 2014