Yukako Ezoe reimagines the nature of self-portraiture in "Bahama Kangaroo"
YE No way! [laughs] A solo show is sort of about you — artist ego [laughs]. But the pieces are portraits of my thoughts and ideas. In one, I'm like an owl, spacing out and thinking. The two lions in some pieces are like me and Naoki doing a high five. Another piece, Too Many Bats, has to do with how hard and competitive it is to be an artist. I'll think of people and turn them into characters.
SFBG Framing is present as an element within some of your recent paintings and collages. How did that come about?
YE I've been influenced by Afghan trucks. There's a book of photos of them [Afghan Trucks, by Jean-Charles Blanc]. They're a bit like trucks with murals on the side. Back in the day, travelers would decorate their camels with lucky charms so they'd have safe journeys, and nowadays they do it with trucks.
SFBG What are you working on at the moment?
YE Right now I'm making jewelry, altering clothing, and cleaning my room. I go back and forth [between different activities and forms].
I used to work for a bridal jewelry store that was really bling-y. I want my jewelry to be more sculptural, and to have a clustered quality that's similar to the collages I make. *
BAHAMA KANGAROO: ART BY YUKAKO EZOE
682 Geary, SF
RISE JAPAN: JAPAN EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI RELIEF FUNDRAISER
also: Gallery Heist
679 Geary, SF
Most Commented On
- This is the agency Tim Redmond wants to charge with purchasing - April 16, 2014
- Campos will push for vacancy control if he gets in the Assembly - April 16, 2014
- Guess the potholes in the - April 16, 2014
- Wait a sec. I know texting - April 16, 2014
- CA taxes capital gains as if it were income - April 16, 2014
- Federal criminal indictment of PG&E doesn't go far enough - April 16, 2014
- Lots of private companies would meet the transit demand - April 16, 2014
- I always vote no on every revenue Prop anyway. - April 16, 2014
- "Relocation payments are - April 16, 2014
- Relocation payments are taxed at lower capital gain rates - April 16, 2014