Cannabis Issue: Our favorite places to "toke it all in"
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA COAST GALLERY AT THE STEINHART AQUARIUM
Look, for those riding the green hornet, buzziness doesn't get much better done than at the California Academy of Sciences. The Morrison Planetarium sends not just cosmic gas and glistening stars whirling around your dome, but protozoan tendrils and glimmering ambient sounds as well, as part of the current "Life" show. Iridescent butterflies flit unfettered about the Buckyball-like "Rainforests of the World" structure. And of course there's Claude the preening albino alligator and a clownish troupe of cavorting penguins. But for sheer shivery loveliness, we like to slip into the basement for the Steinhart Aquarium's gorgeously curated exhibits of regional undersea habitats. The Philippine Coral Reef wastes our retinas with its neon delights and the generalist Water Planet Galleries include infinite otherworldly species. But it's the Northern California Coast Gallery that keeps us rooted in a meditative pose with its hypnotically undulating anemones and sensuously intertwined towers of opalescent kelp. Think about it. That's, like, right off Ocean Beach, dude. Your pipe is your snorkel.
55 Music Concourse Dr., Golden Gate Park, www.calacademy.org
List assembled by Emily Appelbaum, Marke B., Caitlin Donohue, and Hannah Tepper.
Most Commented On
- Seattle empowered - July 29, 2014
- The courts would differ with - July 29, 2014
- Absolutely! And none of our - July 29, 2014
- The Housing Elements are - July 29, 2014
- Wealthy NIMBYs know exactly - July 29, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - July 29, 2014
- David Chiu sounds like a sack of shit crook - July 29, 2014
- Growth potential - July 29, 2014
- Barbie gets a makeover, San Francisco-style - July 29, 2014
- Uber’s secret, “proprietary” insurance policy leaked - July 29, 2014