Cannabis Issue: Our favorite places to "toke it all in"
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA COAST GALLERY AT THE STEINHART AQUARIUM
Look, for those riding the green hornet, buzziness doesn't get much better done than at the California Academy of Sciences. The Morrison Planetarium sends not just cosmic gas and glistening stars whirling around your dome, but protozoan tendrils and glimmering ambient sounds as well, as part of the current "Life" show. Iridescent butterflies flit unfettered about the Buckyball-like "Rainforests of the World" structure. And of course there's Claude the preening albino alligator and a clownish troupe of cavorting penguins. But for sheer shivery loveliness, we like to slip into the basement for the Steinhart Aquarium's gorgeously curated exhibits of regional undersea habitats. The Philippine Coral Reef wastes our retinas with its neon delights and the generalist Water Planet Galleries include infinite otherworldly species. But it's the Northern California Coast Gallery that keeps us rooted in a meditative pose with its hypnotically undulating anemones and sensuously intertwined towers of opalescent kelp. Think about it. That's, like, right off Ocean Beach, dude. Your pipe is your snorkel.
55 Music Concourse Dr., Golden Gate Park, www.calacademy.org
List assembled by Emily Appelbaum, Marke B., Caitlin Donohue, and Hannah Tepper.
Most Commented On
- JxdHtDYjuVjHnn - April 20, 2014
- CGtmnZFBqyOGkGDYy - April 20, 2014
- udWmivkWKLMee - April 20, 2014
- Why there is so much comment spam here - April 20, 2014
- AplOIZTpfssGOjYKaep - April 20, 2014
- JNZWrWFogTNyokZG - April 20, 2014
- It's National Running Day! Motivate yo'self with these classic - April 20, 2014
- LWraEqRQcSXZsnwl - April 20, 2014
- The Nigerian spellcasters and Chinese spammers contribute - April 20, 2014
- Let us praise the Guardian - April 20, 2014