You received the assignment to bring the wine for Thanksgiving... maybe not as difficult as cooking a turkey, but you want to bring something special without having to give it too much thought. Here are a few last-minute bottle suggestions from various parts of the world and a range of prices. Most can be found at shops like Bi-Rite, K&L Wine Merchants, and Jug Shop.
2002 Movia Puro Rosé, $49.50 - The Kristancic family's land covers both sides of the Italian/Slovenian border with vines over three centuries old. This delicate Slovenian rosé captures both a fruity, berry essence, and an earthy, mushroom body. Sparkling and crisp, it makes for a celebratory holiday sipper.
2009 Aveleda Alvarinho, $12.99 - Portuguese wines are still in the 'bang for buck' category, and with this Alvarinho grape white, there's enough dryness to pair it with a range of foods while the palate gives off pear, citrus, and a bouquet of flowers.
2008 J. Hofstatter Kolbenhof Gewurztraminer, $55 - This full-bodied white is floral, lush, but acidic, from Italy's fabulous Alto Adige region. A stunner that expresses Alpine vistas of both Italy and the nearby Austrian border.
2007 Moric Blaufrankisch, $17.99 - I love the blaufrankisch grape and Moric's line of wines showcases the warmth of the Austrian red while remaining a good value. Sandalwood, cherry and cinnamon unfold with a mineral finish.
2005 Vietti Barolo Lazzarito, $130 - Definitely a spendy bottle, this Italian Barolo seduces with tannins balanced by earth, hints of rose petal and robustness, while pairing well with meats.
Crispin's Rose Liqueur, $75 - Impress by bringing a bottle from one of the country's greatest distillers (nearby in Ukiah) for after dinner sipping. Craft Distillers wows with a rose liqueur unlike any other. No cloying, syrupy qualities here, but rather a full bouquet of roses in a cognac-style brandy based off of an old family apple-honey mead recipe. Available at Cask.
--Subscribe to Virgina's twice monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot
Most Commented On
- I am the World's Smartest Leader and I am running for Mayor too - March 8, 2014
- Craft empire | SF Bay Guardian - March 8, 2014
- I'm sure the SFBG was just as - March 8, 2014
- So you've never been inspired - March 8, 2014
- I've hired a few dozen people in my time - March 8, 2014
- Yes, the moderate majority are a majority who agree.on - March 8, 2014
- Assuming you get hired to do - March 8, 2014
- They might as well all be the - March 8, 2014
- Eddie, you think everyone posting as "Guest" is the same person? - March 8, 2014
- Only when they pretend they could moderate a meeting. - March 8, 2014