Gotta shake at the party-riot — Galactic's got supafunkrock and sissy bounce
With so many shouting and signifying, Ya-Ka-May can wear you out like a daylong community festival with 100 performers on the bill. The specter of Hurricane Katrina lingers above it all. Perhaps that's where all the wondrous and sometimes-bizarre mania comes from.
"For years, you couldn't walk out of your door without thinking about the storm or interacting with some aspect of it," he says. "But there's life there, and there's art being made. It's a really fascinating city to live in, to watch an American city go through something so traumatic.
"To some degree, everything in New Orleans now revolves around that event. But Ya-Ka-May isn't about Hurricane Katrina. It's about the contemporary scene in New Orleans as it exists today."
Fri/5, 9 p.m.
1805 Geary, SF
Most Commented On
- a good man that help me - April 21, 2014
- i need my exlover back - April 21, 2014
- DBGWlgIHuOSxG - April 21, 2014
- a good man that also help me - April 21, 2014
- ngRqQcBlxeODokdxsEka - April 21, 2014
- zWbBAdNqet - April 21, 2014
- UEnuhdnVqFWAxJh - April 21, 2014
- uCnoDZlMvIAxXt - April 21, 2014
- mWgxyNmalCQRrCwgLL - April 21, 2014
- spell caster that help me - April 21, 2014