Open projects in San Francisco in November and December include working with seniors at Canon Kip Senior Center, sprucing up the Conservatory of Flowers, helping at the Harbor House, and working with families at the Ronald McDonald House.
Like HandsOn Bay Area, this nonprofit connects volunteers with opportunities. But this Bay Area-based organization (with other branches in New York, Chicago, D.C., Minneapolis, and Seattle) adds a twist: "commitment-free volunteering" and post-event gatherings at restaurants or cafes, all of which appeals particularly to those in their 20s and 30s. Opportunities range anywhere from prepping outreach supplies for the homeless to ushering audience members during a special Berkeley Rep program. Or you can get involved on the ground level. As a 100 percent volunteer-run operation, One Brick can always use help with event management, PR and marketing, development and fundraising, and web design.
237 Kearny, SF. www.onebrick.org
ROCKET DOG RESCUE
This all-volunteer nonprofit's mission is to save homeless and abandoned animals from euthanasia at overcrowded Bay Area shelters. Even if you can't help by fostering a dog, you can support the organization by providing animal transportation, getting involved with outreach, helping to host a fundraising happy hour (a recent event featured free makeovers and spa pampering at the Body Shop in the Castro), working at weekend adoption fairs (held the first three Sundays of every month), or signing up for one of the many tasks it takes to keep such an operation running.
(415) 642-4786, www.rocketdogrescue.org
Most Commented On
- Here is the poll...enjoy denying it! - December 18, 2013
- The first step - December 18, 2013
- "Gadget screen" - December 18, 2013
- LOL. Silly mindless troll. - December 18, 2013
- Why are progressives so - December 18, 2013
- White fight was bad - December 18, 2013
- When elections go you way it is the people speaking - December 18, 2013
- Fellow guest? You're the same - December 18, 2013
- "San Franciscans are smart visionary voters - December 18, 2013
- Ranked choice was pushed by the left - December 18, 2013