PREVIEW Working its way through the ranks of punk rock's prestigious pantheon, Puerto Rico's Davila 666 is held in the same regard as King Khan and Black Lips, even sounding kinda Ramones-ish at times. Its debut self-titled release is on the label that can do no wrong, In the Red. Expect an onslaught of guitar fuzz, jangle, and theatrics, sung entirely en Español!
Co-headlining for the night is the Midwest's own Mannequin Men. With a fresh summer release under their belt, Lose Your Illusion (Flameshovel), the boys take time out from "professionally" DJ-ing various Chicago bars and clubs to join the tour. According to the guy who books them, they like to spin in their downtime. Notorious for having an appetite for destruction all their own, the quartet should be in rare form on stage. They have a song called "WTF LOL" dedicated to the kids and their computer lingo. At first I wasn't sure if I should be annoyed or amused. I'll let you be the judge.
Not to be outdone, Oakland's nomadic NoBunny is East Bay garage rock's answer to the Jim Henson-esque perverse puppets from the 1989 film Meet the Feebles. The sleaze rocker's mangy Muppet-like mask probably smells as rotten as it looks. But it's his sound that's oh so sweet. He's got a soft spot for oldies and does campy, quirky lo-fi homages. Check out his filthiness, cuz he'll (probably) sing in his undies. In contrast, SF's Bridez will add a "lady's" touch to the evening. It's hard to imagine the walls of Thee (tiny) Parkside containing all this rawk. Somehow I think it'll manage.
DAVILA 666, MANNEQUIN MEN, NOBUNNY, BRIDEZ Copresented by Thee Parkisde and KUSF. Wed/2, 8 p.m., $10, 21 and over. Thee Parkside, 1600 17th St., SF. (415) 252-1330. www.theeparkside.com
Most Commented On
- Commitment matters - March 8, 2014
- You and I have different values - March 8, 2014
- Oh yes - that paragon of virtue, ambulance chaser Chris Dolan... - March 7, 2014
- eKwimShrzRLu - March 7, 2014
- You're kidding right? Brown - March 7, 2014
- fyi, marcos, AAA has a dismal record on motorists' rights - March 7, 2014
- Christopher Dolan AGAIN? - March 7, 2014
- So criticizing someone who - March 7, 2014
- Funny, I felt the same way about Jerry Brown - March 7, 2014
- So in other words you feel - March 7, 2014