"Some people have their hang-ups about making music on a computer," opines tech house DJ and producer Serge Garcia, a.k.a. Greco Guggenheit. "Then again, some cinematographers during the silent era believed that the introduction of sound to films was fraudulent."
A relatively fresh face in the Bay Area, the 24-year-old Los Angeles native Garcia has more than a few bass monsters he's itching to unleash. Wielding the Detroit techno scene and its forefathers as his beacon, he compounds elements from minimal house and peak-time techno into one banging track after another.
Garcia spent part of his youth in Mexico City, then Barcelona, where he played a lot of soccer (his "first love," he confesses). His introduction to electronic music began thanks to what he describes as "random CDs with the label 'Techno/House Music'" that his older sister would mail to him. "Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, Kerri Chandler, Derrick May," he incants, when asked about some of the DJs and producers who appeared on these CDs. "Basically, dance music that came out of Detroit and its surrounding areas in the 1980s and early '90s."
In the last year, Garcia has split his time between San Francisco, Stockholm, and Berlin. He plans to make Berlin his home base later this summer, citing record label interest in and around Germany and an aversion to SF's 2 a.m. curtain calls as motives for his move. "After visiting Berlin and experiencing places like Panorama Bar, Cookies Club, and Watergate, I remember coming home and feeling very alive and creative," he explains. "Here in the states, electronic music isn't part of mainstream culture [the way] it is in many parts of Europe."
With Buttercream Gang, Magnanimous
Wed/10, 9 p.m., $6
1131 Polk, SF
Most Commented On
- Beyond the bros - July 22, 2014
- Uber’s secret, “proprietary” insurance policy leaked - July 22, 2014
- Drop a house - July 22, 2014
- Blurry portrait - July 22, 2014
- Revitalized - July 22, 2014
- The Fourth of July: Remembering the good old days in Rock - July 22, 2014
- Driven to take risks - July 22, 2014
- Heads Up: 6 must-see concerts this week - July 22, 2014
- I do predict that drones will - July 22, 2014
- Insurance Commissioner to CPUC: Tech "rideshare" companies must - July 22, 2014