Last year choreographers Janice Garrett and Charles Moulton added a professional component to their 14-year personal relationship. They co-created StringWreck, a whimsical yet highly sophisticated collaboration between Janice Garrett and Dancers and the Del Sol String Quartet. Even though these two artists seem to come from different planets, the process clearly worked for them.
In the 1980s Moulton, a former Merce Cunningham dancer, became known for his beautifully pristine Precision Ball Passing dances that have been described as "a living Rubik's cube." Over the years he has performed them with a few as three and as many as 120 dancers; he has also broadened his choreographic reach into the theater and the movies. As for Garrett, her musically astute and luscious, energy-driven choreography has been part of the Bay Area since 2001, when she returned from England where she spent a major part of her career.
During a recent phone conversation, the couple agreed that their creative differences has increased their respect for each other and has led, as Moulton said, "to many deep and fruitful conversations" so that their collaboration became part of an organic process. StringWreck was such an enriching experience that it whetted their appetite for more, particularly since they found willing collaborators.
The Illustrated Book of Invisible Stories was created for five of Garrett's own dancers and a "movement choir" of 18. Integral to the Illustrated Book which Moulton describes as drawing on visceral responses to the archetypal images we carry in our bodies will be the music of vocalist Odessa Chen and composer-musician Jonathan Russell. (Rita Felciano)
THE ILLUSTRATED BOOK OF INVISIBLE STORIES
Thurs/16-Sat/18, 8 p.m.; Sun/19, 7 p.m., $25-$32
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, 701 Mission, SF
(415) 978-ARTS, www.janicegarrettanddancers.org
Most Commented On
- Why would you feeble and - March 8, 2014
- Who says I'm not considering it? - March 8, 2014
- Aaron - March 8, 2014
- Have you been to 6th Street? - March 8, 2014
- Greg is what I call a checklist liberal. - March 8, 2014
- Greg says he doesnt do - March 8, 2014
- Sounds like a racist viewpoint to me - March 8, 2014
- One more detail. I stayed - March 8, 2014
- marcos, you have responded to his every post - March 8, 2014
- But it was my original post - March 8, 2014