Parisian hottie and Disco Death Tour headliner Arnaud Rebotini sports the slicked-back pompadour and vintage-shirted ensemblage of a primo rockabilly daddy right down to the fifth of Jack Daniels he usually stashes behind his onstage equipment augmented by the handlebar mustache of a '70s porn star.
The music he makes, however, both as the vocalist with "frozen Balearic gay biker house" heroes Black Strobe and on his own as an analog electro-warrior in a laptop landscape, suggests more a canny backroom raver than a rhythm-and-blues or retro-disco traditionalist. Not to say that the rumble of souped-up engines and the salacious whir of Super-8 skin flicks don't stream through his ancient electronics, but he's definitely more about raising hands in the air than laying down steamy riffs.
Rebotini's last solo release, Music Components (Citizen, 2008), was a valiant and largely successful attempt to build an solid dancefloor set around analog fanboy fetish instruments like the Korg Monopoly, Juno 60, and TRs 909 and 808 no laptops or external sequencers allowed. What emerged was a MIDI wet dream that stomped the jambox and inverted the Valerie and Ghostly International camps' Ableton-driven nostalgia formula this man who looked like he walked right out of Can made actual music of the moment on his tinny machines.
Meanwhile, Black Strobe transformed from a witty electroclash-like DJ-vocalist duo into a full-blown live four-piece, which, confusingly, will be performing a DJ set on the tour. Also on hand will be earnest acid-disco hipsters In Flagranti but my dream of dreams would be for Rebotini, French king of the analog 808, to someday team up with Alexander Robotnik, Italian king of the acid-generating 303, for a mind-blowing all-night session of laptopless hiptwisters. Rebotini and Robotnik in 2010!
DISCO DEATH TOUR
With Arnaud Rebotini, Black Strobe DJ set, and In Flagranti
Sat/7, 10 p.m., $10 advance
103 Harriet, SF
Most Commented On
- Unlike how now that progressives somewhat have the upper hand - December 10, 2013
- Why would someone give money to - December 10, 2013
- The SFBC is permeated with affluent privileged whites. - December 10, 2013
- I'm actually fine with legalizing pot. - December 10, 2013
- I do my part to help illegals. - December 10, 2013
- All minimum wage laws kill jobs. - December 10, 2013
- Marcus Books is a book store that only employs blacks and only - December 10, 2013
- Am I the only one who is sick to the hind teeth with - December 10, 2013
- The lane is a mysterious mence - December 10, 2013
- animal onesie - December 10, 2013