War Peace: The One Drop Rule Living Word Festival 2008, titled "Race Is Fiction," features a new collaborative work by Youth Speaks alumni and Teen Poetry Slam champions Chinaka Hodge, Rafael Casal, Daveed Diggs, and Nico Cary. Directed by festival curator Marc Bamuthi Joseph, War Peace imagines a drought-ravaged Bay Area as potential war zone.
Oct. 2324. Theater Artaud, 450 Florida, SF. www.youthspeaks.org
Angry Black White Boy Felonious' Dan Wolf and Tommy Shepherd unveil a poetical rap-fused remix of Adam Mansbach's satirical and incendiary novel about race and identity in the United States, adapted by Wolf.
Oct. 23Nov. 16. Intersection for the Arts, 446 Valencia, SF. www.theintersection.org
Continuous City Last year's work-in-progress is this year's full-fledged multimedia outing as New York Citybased boundary pushers, the Builders Association, returns with a three-pronged narrative (incorporating much Bay Areaderived material) negotiating the ever-more permeable membrane between the global and the local, and our networked and unplugged experience.
Nov. 68. Novellus Theater at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, 700 Howard, SF. (415) 978-2787, www.ybca.org
Friends Brava! For Women in the Arts' new artistic director Raelle Myrick-Hodges carries forward the spirit of its founding mission with offerings eclectic and unexpected. The revival of Woman in the Dunes author Kobo Abe's play Friends promises to be a timely and potent production, though Abe penned his scathing absurdist take on gentrification some four decades ago.
Nov. 617. Brava Theater Center, 2781 24th St., SF. (415) 647-2822, www.brava.org
Most Commented On
- Police your own rank self. - December 9, 2013
- Or the employees who live here could pay RE taxes - December 9, 2013
- Congratulations, SFBG. Your - December 9, 2013
- The thing about people who - December 9, 2013
- Every single person who works at google - December 9, 2013
- Well only if you assume all - December 9, 2013
- Progressives need to police their own ranks - December 9, 2013
- Reagan used to say weird made up things - December 9, 2013
- Ask me how I found my lost love of my life - December 9, 2013
- You can't afford to live. - December 9, 2013