There is no such thing as 'away.' It's someone else's backyard."
Saul Bloom, executive director of Arc Ecology, which does contract work for the Redevelopment Agency, said that Calvert's concerns strengthen the argument for simply capping Parcel B so that the contamination can't escape rather than removing the material.
Bloom said he blames the Navy's "incompetence" for the city losing the opportunity to transfer Parcel B early and speed development. "If we'd got rid of Parcel B in 2004, we would have been part of the housing boom, not the housing bust," Bloom said.
He believes the Navy's proposed plan is acceptable, feasible, and protective, but that "whether it's the best use given the needs of the BVHP is another debate."
While some residents are arguing for a total excavation of the site down to the sea floor, Bloom disagrees: "I think the covering strategy is a protective solution." He criticized the Navy for only having scheduled 11 days between its July 28 public comment deadline and its final draft, due out August 8.
"I'm concerned about the length of time they've allotted for the question that comes up and that no one has the answer to," Bloom said. "I don't think it is adequate or seemly from a 'we take your comment seriously' point of view."
Shipyard artist Rebecca Haseltine, who has rented at Building 103 for 18 years, says that she has consistently trusted Arc Ecology's advice on the shipyard cleanup. "But I also feel that we still don't know the half of what happened on the shipyard. The Navy denied that any radioactive material had been used at the base, until a reporter with the SF Weekly published a story about it in 2001."
Most Commented On
- I'm just asking questions - March 12, 2014
- Taxi Insurance - March 12, 2014
- Good luck SFBG/Ex - screw the Chron if they're doin that - March 12, 2014
- Here's what wouldn't surprise me - March 12, 2014
- The trolls here find even a huge fire a reason to troll here - March 12, 2014
- Aside from the conversation - March 12, 2014
- Concentrate Tech Buses at one Terminus - March 11, 2014
- XxShEytJvwICPveckEj - March 11, 2014
- Smart, huh? - March 11, 2014
- As a retired commercial - March 11, 2014