PREVIEW The first time I saw Mike Patton I was 10. It was a sticky July afternoon and here's this long-haired guy on MTV gesticuutf8g and rapping to distorted guitars. It freaked me out not the lightning-shooting eyeball embedded in his hand or that flopping fish inciting the ire of PETA activists but the man himself. He inspired a major uh-oh feeling, and my understanding of the universe was eternally compromised.
But that was 1989. Since those early, badly dressed years with forever-fighting Faith No More, Patton has spearheaded many beloved projects on the noisy melodic fringe, from the haunting Fantômas to his recent pop-wannabe project Peeping Tom. Now with Crudo, he's teamed up with Dan the Automator, a.k.a. Daniel Nakamura, the Bay Area producer on the forefront of groundbreaking hip-hop, including Gorillaz's eponymous putf8um-selling debut album (Virgin, 2001) and the Handsome Boy Modeling School with De la Soul's Prince Paul.
"Crudo" may be Italian for raw, but this isn't the dynamic duo's freshest collaboration in 2001 Patton and Nakumura worked together on Lovage: Songs to Make Love to Your Old Lady By (NicheMusic.com Inc), a fun if challenging listen. Crudo's MySpace page gives a single one minute, fifty-six second glimpse called "Let's Go," a poppy tease that makes me dance, but not much else. There's no official word on a new album release date, but rumor in the blogosphere is 2009.
To bide time, Patton and DTA fans won't want to miss Crudo's debut appearance at Great American Music Hall, a practice run for Washington State's Sasquatch Festival two days later. Fulfill your Crudosity. Personally, I need to see if Patton still creeps me out. I hope so.
CRUDO With San Quinn. Thurs/22, 8 p.m., $21. Great American Music Hall, 859 O'Farrell, SF. (415) 885-0750, www.gamh.com
Most Commented On
- This is the agency Tim Redmond wants to charge with purchasing - April 16, 2014
- Campos will push for vacancy control if he gets in the Assembly - April 16, 2014
- Guess the potholes in the - April 16, 2014
- Wait a sec. I know texting - April 16, 2014
- CA taxes capital gains as if it were income - April 16, 2014
- Federal criminal indictment of PG&E doesn't go far enough - April 16, 2014
- Lots of private companies would meet the transit demand - April 16, 2014
- I always vote no on every revenue Prop anyway. - April 16, 2014
- "Relocation payments are - April 16, 2014
- Relocation payments are taxed at lower capital gain rates - April 16, 2014