They're the highest in the nation, and we don't want to price people out," Stearns said. Funds to the state park system have been slashed consistently since the 1980s, and parks have been relying more on entrance fees than state funding. Because of a 233 percent increase in day fees in the past six years, California park attendance has dropped by about nine million people, according to state park officials.
Several organizations, including the CSPF, are collecting signatures and donations to encourage Schwarzenegger and the legislature not to sacrifice California's parks to political expediency.
Comments, ideas, and submissions for Green City, the Guardian's weekly environmental column, can be sent to email@example.com.
Most Commented On
- BBLHGoxhAZgDsY - August 2, 2014
- Survival mode - August 2, 2014
- uqgHSzCkEweizTdO - August 2, 2014
- a great man - August 2, 2014
- yhyajdjNxnvBmVikAeAB - August 2, 2014
- agdntYnqdwtC - August 1, 2014
- UPDATE: Union organizer shouts down protesters as they block - August 1, 2014
- ePyvWGYTisCphVIAHoWR - August 1, 2014
- cqZqWCaGgDz - August 1, 2014
- nzIaMFiTwGoS - August 1, 2014