They're the highest in the nation, and we don't want to price people out," Stearns said. Funds to the state park system have been slashed consistently since the 1980s, and parks have been relying more on entrance fees than state funding. Because of a 233 percent increase in day fees in the past six years, California park attendance has dropped by about nine million people, according to state park officials.
Several organizations, including the CSPF, are collecting signatures and donations to encourage Schwarzenegger and the legislature not to sacrifice California's parks to political expediency.
Comments, ideas, and submissions for Green City, the Guardian's weekly environmental column, can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most Commented On
- ETMUxocYYiwANXioJal - April 17, 2014
- Imagine living in San - April 17, 2014
- The cost of giving homes to every homeless person is infinite - April 17, 2014
- molAtMJscZGvjy - April 17, 2014
- Go sailing - April 17, 2014
- A GREAT SPELL CASTER THAT HELP ME GET SOLVE MY FAMILY ISSUES - April 17, 2014
- YES - April 17, 2014
- Great comment. Erin! - April 17, 2014
- iRTbxaAgNwj - April 17, 2014
- The real numbers - April 17, 2014