London's DJ Youngsta would much rather be heard than seen. Even at his recent spotlight guest DJ appearance on Mary Anne Hobbs's top-rated BBC Radio 1 electronic program, Youngsta uttered nary a word. Known as dubstep's most peerless and perfectionist technical mixer, Yunx as his friends casually call him lets the tunes do the talking. Same goes for his own weekly radio blasts on London pirate Rinse FM, where MC Task handles the instant message shout-outs and track title announcements.
But although Yunx (né Dan Lockhart) speaks little as Hobbs revealed in her brief on-air bio the 22-year-old phenom carries major weight in the exploding international dubstep scene. His background includes work as an A&R consultant for the genre's top label, Tempa Recordings, run by his sister, Sarah Lockhart; as an employee at top record store BM Soho; and as booker for the scene's most important club night, Forward, at Plastic People in Shortditch, East London.
Yunx will certainly prove his infectious dance floor popularity on our shores again when he returns for his second visit to San Francisco in a year. His previous set, with DJ Hatcha at the Dark Room, had dancers bawling for "reloads" translation: when the DJ lifts the needle and replays the song almost every other track.
He's unique: Yunx spins vinyl acetate dubplates almost exclusively. "It 'ain't even a case of whether you prefer CD or dubplate; it actually sounds better on a dub, and that's the bottom line," he remarked to the Drumz of the South blog. Yunx also freely admits that he leans towards playing dubstep's darker, bassier tunes don't expect any fluffy, life-affirming anthems during his sets. His inclement sound is wobbly, tense, and low-end-shaking, like a storm brewing in the distance. Paired with some of San Francisco's finest regular dubstep DJ talent, Yunx's latest SF appearance should reveal where dubstep is headed seven years into its lifespan. (Tomas Palermo)
With DJ Ripple, Sam Supa, and Selector Dub-U
Wed/5, 10 p.m., $5
1337 Mission, SF
Most Commented On
- Look at it this way, Snoozers - March 9, 2014
- The issue isn't whether poetry is worthwhile but rather why - March 9, 2014
- So you're saying marcos is just like a driver? - March 9, 2014
- Class based envy politics doesn't sit well with most voters - March 9, 2014
- When you cannot defeat an opponent then - March 9, 2014
- oBaVKmYrxmf - March 9, 2014
- Another new to town progressive. - March 9, 2014
- No, government surveillance wrong, period. - March 9, 2014
- Government surveillance is bad - March 8, 2014
- San Francisco Needs Speed Cameras - March 8, 2014