Project Censored can't cover everything most of the stories the group looks at are national and international in scope. But there are huge local stories in every community that the mainstream media black out, ignore, or underplay. We've talked to political activists and media experts around the Bay and come up with a (short) list of Bay Area censored stories. We list them in no particular order.
THE MONOPOLIZATION OF LOCAL DAILY NEWSPAPERS
The deal that gave Dean Singleton's MediaNews Group control of almost every daily newspaper in the Bay Area made the business pages but the impact on news coverage and the damage caused by the homogenization of local news to communities and the political debate were almost entirely ignored.
COMMUNITY CHOICE AGGREGATION AND PG&E'S ATTACK ON PUBLIC POWER
The importance of Community Choice Aggregation as an alternative to Pacific Gas and Electric Co.'s private-power monopoly was badly under-covered as was PG&E's looming attack on CCA and public power.
GAVIN NEWSOM'S REAL RECORD
The daily papers love to talk about polls that show the mayor's popularity (and they love to talk about his personal life), but nobody's looking at his failure to fulfill many of his original promises.
SHUTTERED PUBLIC HOUSING
Until Mayor Newsom suddenly noticed the problems in local public housing last week, the major news media had overlooked the fact that hundreds of public housing units are shuttered while thousands of people wait for affordable housing.
THE ATTACK OF THE HIGH-RISES
The mainstream media reported with glee on the proposals for giant new towers at the Transbay Terminal, but failed to mention that at least 10 more giant towers are already in the works.
MORE HIGHWAYS, LESS TRANSIT
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger likes to talk green, but the news media haven't compared his cuts to public transit with his plans to build more highways.
Most Commented On
- tqofVkihgbk - April 19, 2014
- Wiener’s resolution to study waterfront initiative written by - April 19, 2014
- A GREAT SPELL CASTER THAT HELP ME WITH MY FAMILY ISSUES - April 19, 2014
- And you can't get past your - April 19, 2014
- That is what the city is saying - April 19, 2014
- We as in who the hell u think - April 19, 2014
- N who r u Really?? - April 19, 2014
- What political BS who gives a - April 19, 2014
- Life is beautiful. Let's go - April 19, 2014
- Nieto was a nutjob with a gun - April 19, 2014