One day, even burglars might find their targets by Googling.
For now, however, Google Street View only covers a few cities, and the interface is a little slow. But the van is still out there, taking pictures automatically, posting everything it sees online. And the interface will improve. Is the dubious convenience of this tool worth the privacy trade-off? Do you really want to walk down the street never knowing whether your furtive nose-picking or secret meeting with a colleague has been captured and broadcast to the Google-using public? *
Annalee Newitz is a surly media nerd who will not stop picking her nose furtively in public and reserves the right to be pissed if you publish a picture of her doing it.
Most Commented On
- Last I Checked SF Was Still Part Of The United States - December 6, 2013
- Ironic - December 6, 2013
- Yes, rent control deters the re-renting of vacant units. - December 6, 2013
- Marcos has been driven out of here, it seems. - December 6, 2013
- Or to summarize that in one sentence: - December 6, 2013
- Rent Control is a major - December 6, 2013
- Yeah they are. Just take a - December 6, 2013
- How do YOU know what a majority think? - December 6, 2013
- So, everyone takes it for - December 6, 2013
- A majority of SF'ers have never been to the Marsh and yet it has - December 6, 2013