Many still need to return to Iraq to escape poverty, according to BBC news.
1.6 million: Iraqis displaced internally
1.8 million: Iraqis displaced to neighboring states
Many refugees were displaced prior to 2003, but an increasing number are fleeing now, according to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees’ estimates.
U.S. Military Wounded:
50,502: Wounded since 3/19/03 to 1/6/07
The Guardian cost of Iraq war report (5/21/07): So far, $427 billion for the U.S., $54 billion for California and $1 billion for San Francisco.
Compiled by Paula Connelly
Here is a running total of the cost of the Iraq War to the U.S. taxpayer, provided by the National Priorities Project located in Northampton, Massachusetts. The number is based on Congressional appropriations. Niko Matsakis of Boston, MA and Elias Vlanton of Takoma Park, MD originally created the count in 2003 on costofwar.com. After maintaining it on their own for the first year, they gave it to the National Priorities Project to contribute to their ongoing educational efforts.
To bring the cost of the war home, please note that California has already lost $46 billion and San Francisco has lost $1 billion to the Bush war and his mistakes. In San Francisco alone, the funds used for the war in Iraq could have hired 21,264 additional public school teachers for one year, we could have built 11,048 additional housing units or we could have provided 59,482 students four-year scholarships at public universities. For a further breakdown of the cost of the war to your community, see the NPP website aptly titled "turning data into action."
Most Commented On
- My Name is johnson Wilson..I - April 19, 2014
- the spell caster that bring smile and happiness back to my life - April 19, 2014
- MAdVUotOhumff - April 19, 2014
- You are welcome to the Laco - April 19, 2014
- Many Many People Are Angry? - April 19, 2014
- Poor People Ride The Bus - April 19, 2014
- a spell caster who brought my ex husband back to me - April 19, 2014
- kNOhlrWhrqLncB - April 19, 2014
- Thank you Doctor - April 19, 2014
- vhiHZMWFxwtcMxljhSLZ - April 19, 2014