"When conventional notions of gender and sexuality are always blurred or challenged or in flux, I think perhaps all the fluidity carries over to form a particularly post-modern attention span." Or maybe Bailey is just a new breed of gendernerd, whose attachment to one particular gender identity morphs as often as an attachment to a particular flavor of Linux or a particular API.
In my old workplace I frequently pasted over the gender markers on the single-room bathrooms I printed "Carbon-based lifeforms only" on a piece of paper that was just big enough to cover the stick figure in a skirt. Luckily my coworkers enjoyed the joke, and we all made it an unwritten rule that we would use whatever bathroom was available, no matter what our genders. Now I plan to spread the genderfree bathroom meme online by adding good bathrooms to the database. When I can write a sentence like that, I really do feel like I'm living in the future. *
Annalee Newitz is a surly media nerd who really has to pee right now.
Most Commented On
- Yes!!! I couldn't have said - December 9, 2013
- Are you another actor? - December 9, 2013
- Ok. Right after SF sues - December 9, 2013
- Arrest the bus blockers and - December 9, 2013
- Although the speaker was an actor, he made a decent point - December 9, 2013
- we should realy let these people run the city. - December 9, 2013
- They knew that SFBG would fall for it hook line and sinker - December 9, 2013
- I've seen no evidence that any Google employee has displaced a - December 9, 2013
- I saw no threat. He simply said that Erin has put herself in a - December 9, 2013
- Oh man SFBG, correct this. - December 9, 2013