Frontlines is a worthy contribution to the Afrobeat movement, with well-crafted originals, stirring lyrics, and, of course, a Kuti cover. Southern California's Afrobeat Down is known as its area's premier Afrobeat combo, one with an unabashed desire to re-create the hard-driving funky sound of its early-’70s inspirations, and 12-piece Albino won the 2005 San Francisco Music Award for Best World Music.
Those three Afrobeat acts should get you dancing and feeling good and help you realize that the answer isn't blowing in the wind but can be heard at polling places, in lumberyards, on battlefields, and on Afrobeat stages around the globe. SFBG
AFROFUNK MUSIC FESTIVAL
Thurs/27–Sat/29, 9 p.m.
628 Divisadero, SF
- bIKuyUaxhMbZ - August 20, 2014
- aOuGxWYgxmYVGlz - August 20, 2014
- vHDarynxQxksWqdlaTz - August 20, 2014
- Questions raised by staff cutbacks at the Exploratorium - August 20, 2014
- gYeZRaORbakjVvVxM - August 20, 2014
- FGecOKIXjEXdkrJYN - August 20, 2014
- CGANnrMuoQT - August 20, 2014
- fuck the bay guardian - August 20, 2014
- On displacement, journalism, and the Guardian's fake Google- - August 20, 2014
- THIS IS MY TESTIMONY ABOUT THE GOOD WORK OF Dr ATILA - August 20, 2014