Kesler first met Bidwell when the latter auditioned to be the drummer for Kesler's pre-TMS band Shackleton. As Bidwell begins to tell the tale, Kesler pipes up, in the same way that they say they wrote songs for Falcons: "Can I edit this story? This is our relationship — he gives me material, and then I edit it.
"Chad tried out," Kesler continues, "and he literally could not play a single beat. I looked over, and I thought this guy must be joking, and he was over there, totally placid, smiling." Bidwell gave a tape of his songs to the band, and Kesler was immediately impressed: "I still think Chad's lyrics are the best I ever heard."
After Bidwell recorded one album, 2001's The More Nice Fey Elven Gnomes (Megalon), Kesler and Gonzales began to back him up, making Kite with him. So when Falcons’ songs appeared to be going slowly, Kesler offered to give Bidwell a few of the "tons of musical ideas" he had lying around.
Sounds like the solitary confines of one's own imagination have loosened up for Bidwell, a software programmer and ex–Geek Corps volunteer who began his Megalon label because, he owns, "I thought that it would make my, at that point, lonely, desperate life a little less lonely. More meaningful."
"You didn't tell me that when you told me you wanted to put out the Thee More Shallows record!" jokes Kesler.
"I just realized it at this moment," Bidwell says, smiling. "We should have just hung out more or something." SFBG
Ral Partha Vogelbacher
with Thee More Shallows
and the Mall
Thurs/25, 9 p.m.
Bottom of the Hill
1233 17th St., SF
Most Commented On
- security officers blog - April 24, 2014
- Thanks to Dr.Igbodo who solve my love problem - April 24, 2014
- Lets of under 30 days are not covered by rent control even if - April 24, 2014
- That would be a logical and consistent approach else the city - April 24, 2014
- So, Steven, you tried to get him to discredit capitalism - April 24, 2014
- Many nations thrive on the simple ability of allowing the rich - April 24, 2014
- how i get my wife back - April 24, 2014
- nice! - April 24, 2014
- thanks to one Dr Bacasim a spell caster - April 24, 2014
- SFMTA repeals paid Sunday - April 24, 2014